advertisement

LP12 yes or no?

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
An LP12 has come up for sale near me, its an original with smoked lid, fluted plinth and basic arm. Asking price is £600...I'm tempted to offer £500.
I already have 3 turntables but not a Linn. I had one once and parted with it. Should I go for it?

YES ! These are among the best music machines ever made and all the persons I that got rid of them (including myself !) regretted it a long time.

Go for it. As you say though, bid low. The Basik isn't anything great, and the early ones (flutings on all 4 faces including the rear identify the very earliest decks) without corner braces are less desirable. Dust covers are easily changed, props can be removed if wished. Most owners do.

An LP12 has come up for sale near me, its an original with smoked lid, fluted plinth and basic arm. Asking price is £600...I'm tempted to offer £500.
I already have 3 turntables but not a Linn. I had one once and parted with it. Should I go for it?
No ! Anyway, 3 TTs are one too many...And no, ye can have too many...:cool:

Reactions: irb
No. You'll be horribly disappointed!

At that price point and spec they sound undynamic, unresolved and utterly intolerable by modern standards.

Linn performance really starts at about £1000 and for that price you can probably just about get one with an Ittock and a Lingo.

Even fairly mediocre digital kit will trounce your £500 LP12. Proper modern digital kit will trounce pretty much all of them.

I Got up to a 2003 made mechanical (cirkus of course) Lingo II, Ekos II, Troika, prefix combo and have to say I don't miss it at all. The price of improvement went crazy for what you got so I upgraded to a Michell Orbe with Graham 2.2 arm. That actually can live alongside digital kit.

No! It's an opportunity to drop £3k+ on turd polishing ;-)

There was a chap on here selling a Sonata, buy it

No. Unless you’re going for a collection and need a belt drive to complete it. If your other decks are any good it will be a disappointment. Then the spending begins.

Decided against....already have Thorens 145 mk II, PL12 and Michell Hydraulic Ref. He dropped to £550 for what its worth.

If you have never owned an LP12, go for it. It's a good price. Sound wise - if you consider this early version as an optimised Thorens TD160 you won't be dissatisfied.

I did have an early LP12 once and got rid when I found the Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference. He's dropped to £525 but I am resisting the temptation. Its on FB Market if anyone wants to have a go.

I did have an early LP12 once and got rid when I found the Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference
I had a Hydraulic Reference for 25 years from the mid 70's so was never tempted by an LP12 - only started messing with various turntables when I had to sell it because it would not fit in it's new space after a move - it's first replacement was a TD160 - after about 10 assorted turntables over 10 years finally settled on a PT1 - never once thought of trying an LP12.

The ones that stayed the longest in that 10 years was a PT LPT and Systemdek 11X900AP.

Had heard LP12 combo's on a couple of occasions during my 25 years with the Michell and wasn't impressed either time.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back