advertisement

Lp12, Old Style Motor with endcap lubrication ?

Invest this !

Hello All

I have an older Lp12 that is experiencing some motor noise. I have consulted the dealer manual and added a drop of sewing machine oil to the motor. In removing the lower end cap, a black plastic thimble sized cap with a spring loaded ball bearing, I have noticed that it is totally dry. The manual says to lubricate with Linn black grease only. It seems I remembered reading something about using Vaseline petroleum jelly as a substitute. Can anyone recommend the proper lube for the endcap ball bearing ? Thanks...

I'd use one of Vaseline, Lithium grease (car bearings), oil, Molyslip (Linn black grease was reputed to consist of or contain this) or similar. In short it doesn't matter. Grease will take longer to evapoorate. Grease/Moly mixed will prob last you till you are in a box.

Yes,I agree.Leave it off..........your deck will sound better.

You may get some noise from the motor to start with,but this should pass with use.

Paul.

Red end caps? The caps were a dark grey. Earlier ones had a spring inside with a plastic nib on the end (dome bit); later ones had the plastic dome inside replaced by a ball bearing (which varried in size depending on the precise age).

Even older ones are white and the most ancient of all LP12 motors seem to have some sort of metal cage arrangement

I've seen pics of older motors with red gunk around the thrust bearing.Glue to hold the thing on possibly ?

Paul.

I'd use one of Vaseline, Lithium grease (car bearings), oil, Molyslip (Linn black grease was reputed to consist of or contain this) or similar.

Thanks, Steve

What I'd really like to know is, what was original "Linn grease" made out of ? Does anyone know ? DSJR, maybe ?

Early ones were white plastic, held on with a blob of nail varnish. Recommended lube back then was Vaseline, as I remember. Later, we had silvery grey cover with a spring plus plastic dome bearing. Lube was the black Linn gunk which we knew as 'graphite grease'. Later, the plastic dome was replaced briefly by a ball bearing but rapidly changed for - nothing. Just take the whole lot off and let it hang. Best of all.:D

I've had a chance to try a number of lubricants I've found about the place. Here are my findings...

Moly Grease (Axle grease): This did ok but I found the sound a little disappointing. Music sounded slow and thick.

White Lithium Paste: Very good. If anything it sounded the opposite of the moly grease, a little too fast and lightweight. The motor emitted a soft hissing noise throughout my audition, and it didn't go away.

Vaseline Petroleum Jelly: The best so far. More transparent (yeah...I know, but that's the way it sounded) than the lithium based greases. Also, motor was dead quiet.

Graphite Grease: Haven't a clue where to find this substance. I'll let you know my findings if I do, because, deep down,... you know you care,... and yes,... I do have a little too much free time on my hands..:)

IT

advertisement

Back