advertisement

LP Playback: Is It Really Reference-Quality?

He's american right? You can tell because he uses italics all the time to tell you when he's REALLY gonna say something special!
Apart from the annoying and patronizing tone, I didn't see anything there that hasn't been discussed thousands of times (THAT'S RIGHT! THOUSANDS!!)On various forums.

He as usual misses the basic point.

No-one says that vinyl is technically perfect.
We all know set up matters, but
fact is,
it sounds nicerer to many ears.

Does he sell isolation or eq products perchance?

who is jim smith?

very arrogant in saying he hasnt heard a single TT set up properly - I bet he does that for a fee lol and is touting for business

Apart from the annoying and patronizing tone, I didn't see anything there that hasn't been discussed thousands of times (THAT'S RIGHT! THOUSANDS!!)On various forums.

Sure. But did he get anything factually wrong?

Do you not think this has some bones?

"6) As someone who has made hundreds of master recordings – both 30 IPS analog and digital – this needs to be said: The tape master ALWAYS makes the LP sound broken – lacking in dynamics, presence & tone. As an example, consider the well-deserved reputation for excellence that Peter McGrath’s digital master recordings always receive at various audio exhibits.

No turntable – at any price – can bridge the inherent gap between the master tape and the mastered LP. It is HUGE – and that comparison assumes the use of a correctly set-up turntable/phono-stage rig."

"6) As someone who has made hundreds of master recordings – both 30 IPS analog and digital – this needs to be said: The tape master ALWAYS makes the LP sound broken – lacking in dynamics, presence & tone. As an example, consider the well-deserved reputation for excellence that Peter McGrath’s digital master recordings always receive at various audio exhibits.

No turntable – at any price – can bridge the inherent gap between the master tape and the mastered LP. It is HUGE – and that comparison assumes the use of a correctly set-up turntable/phono-stage rig."

I am not disagreeing with that.

It's still a subjective analysis though.

It is dumb to even ask the question. Just meaningless blather from an manufacturer with an agenda. Anyone with any actual interest in music (I can use italics too!) will happily explain that if the vinyl, original pressing or not, is better than the nasty brickwalled digitally de-noised and re-EQd mess made from a 40 year old crumbling master tape, then it is the thing to own. Mastering > format. This is true every single time.

And as for,

When I had the opportunity to experiment, it always proved to be the case that I could make that vinyl-playing-rig sound better.

He just comes across an overblown tosser who thinks he knows more than anyone else who has ever set up a turntable

I remember the good old days ( that went on a surprisingly long time) when someone would write " when a CD player is anywhere as good as my LP12/LVX/K9, then I might consider buying one".

Jim Smith sells his services and books etc.. As far as I know he does not sell hi-fi gear:

http://getbettersound.com/index.php

He's one of the good guys who wants us to hear music better. I've got his book and it's full of helpful tips.

PSAudio sell a range of audio gear but the owner, Paul McGowan, also seems to be a good guy.

As Smith says in the article, some people will not like what he writes, but that is his experience. The gist of it seems to be that most turntables can be set up better. Is that wrong?

I think it's similar to saying that most listening rooms can be set up better, positioning and room treatment in particular, which is my view based on my own struggles and reading Hi-Fi forums.

As Smith says in the article, some people will not like what he writes, but that is his experience. The gist of it seems to be that most turntables can be set up better. Is that wrong?

No that isn't wrong. It's just his style of delivery and his 'look at me, I know everything, I'm better than anyone else' approach that sticks in my throat.

There may be a hint of arrogance surrounding TT setup, however I see nothing controversial in what he says. I have my feet firmly in both camps but happy to concede that digital done well is far superior to LP replay, period. He doesn't mention mastering, which of course queers the pitch. I certainly have plenty of old records I prefer to listen to than some of the poor digital transfers done when CD's came out and invariably worse subsequent remasters.

As for contemporary LP's, I find it hard to justify buying them. Even if the digital recording is badly brick walled, the LP also tends to sound bad IME. Not as painful to listen to as the digital version, but still bad and not worth the money.

Some of the best sounding recordings I own, and certainly the most enjoyable from a music POV, are needle drops of 50/60/70's albums taken from a SME30/12a using a DSD Recorder.

Reference quality? I'd say so.

He doesn't quote anything based on fact. It's all his own subjective listening.

"So we have two levels of the dreaded EQ, and they may not be accurately EQ’d for some of our recordings anyway."

"no engineering breakthroughs have occurred that significantly reduce inner groove distortion – it’s simply a part of the vinyl LP package"

Are those purely subjective opinions?

"That sounds sh1t"

"it's reference quality"

"Ah, my bad.. "

I think he can't get his head around personal preference. Or more to the point ignores the fact that the speakers and room have a similar enormous distortion from the studio, or venue, so exactly what is reference anyway.

One of our neighbours was playing his sax in the garden a few weeks ago. Despite fences, trees, hedges, back ground noises etc, it was unmistakably 'live', no hifi has ever been able to recreate that instantly recognisable sound, which is the only reference. He seems to use reference the way pseudo marketeers use military spec and aerospace spec when trying to flog a biro.

"no engineering breakthroughs have occurred that significantly reduce inner groove distortion – it’s simply a part of the vinyl LP package"

That new German system of mastering vinyl removes inner groove distortion.

"So we have two levels of the dreaded EQ, and they may not be accurately EQ’d for some of our recordings anyway."

Well, they're opinions.

What exactly do you conclude from the first statement?

advertisement

Back