advertisement

LP-12 Naim Aro Owners Please Read

Hmm..not surprisingly my data looks exactly the same :).

More pictures please - very funny.

Mark,
Which Linn cartridge?
Troika I assume?

Yes, the Troika - but also the Akiva and any other linn three bolters.

Here are graphical representations of the difference sin tracking distortion assuming 211 and 212.5mm spindle to pivot distances- it's kinda obvious...
I'm not sure you've got your numbers right.

For the same cart you have to reduce the overhang by the same amount as you increase the spindle-pivot distance. If overhang is measured tangentially then there's a modest cosine involved. I would have thought your spreadsheet would take it into account if you just increase the spindle-pivot leaving all else equal.

IAnyway it appears that 211.5 might be optimal with a Linn cart.

Paul

For the same cart you have to reduce the overhang by the same amount as you increase the spindle-pivot distance. If overhang is measured tangentially then there's a modest cosine involved. I would have thought your spreadsheet would take it into account if you just increase the spindle-pivot leaving all else equal.

The overhang on an Aro is fixed, it does not have headshell slots. It is only compatible with a few carts, and if positioned incorrectly it will be compatible with a few different carts!

Tony.

aroarmdata.jpg

I used 229mm as the effective length as that is the figure given on the original drawings.

However, it is as Tony states above and the whole conversation seems to have developed a distinctly circular quality.

No, he's not dead if that is what you mean :).

Yes they do - I've worked it all out in the past when I was making up armboards. Assuming the Linn cartridge geometry (stylus point to centre of headshell fixing) 211 is optimum.

Guy is alive...hopefuly :)
I had a chat today with him. The correct distance mount is effectively 211 +/- 1,5 mm based as stated on the Linn cartridge geometry where the distance between the stylus point and the centre of headshell fixing was 7mm if my memory is good. When Guy designed the Aro he collected information on every cart he could. The norm established at 3/8" (9,525 mm). Keep in mind it's only one of the different parameters he had to take in count. My english is too bad to translate the discussion we had but be assured of Guy best "souvenir".

Jacques

Personally, it's sort of silly to get hang up on a dead accurate measurement on an ARO.

Unless it's grossly mismatched, it works with variety of cartridges without altering its headshell.

Linn cartridges will never sound like Dynavecctors, for instance, and many prefer the latter.

Guys,

I am somewhat clueless at arm goemetry issues, but as I have a Greenstreet ARO chassis with presumably a 212.5 mm mount distance, now coupled with an AT33ANV with a stylus to mount distance of 9mm as opposed to the Linn 7mm, have I serendipitously ended up with a near ideal geometry? (simplistically assuming that adding 2mm to the cartridge mount to stylus length means one would add 2 mm to the arm mount distance?)

Regards

Martin

PS - Sounds fantastic anyway so who really cares!

Personally, it's sort of silly to get hang up on a dead accurate measurement on an ARO.

Mmmmm ... to me, it seems that only a very silly designer would deliberately design a tonearm to have bolt holes, not slots. :confused:

After all, the Aro is a non-Linn addition to a Linn TT. Some Linnies could never come at that (anything non-Linn on an LP12 is an abomination! :p ) so I would've thought someone who was making an arm for LP12 owners who, by definition, must be prepared to go outside the Linn dogma ... would be open to the concept that these people would probably also be prepared to try out non-Linn cartridges (which come with a different stylus-to-bolt-hole distance)? So why not make it flexible? :confused:

And before you dispute my statement that the Aro was made solely for the LP12 ... how many people out there use Aros on their non-Linn TTs? I've never come across any ... except, possibly, those who've cannibalised an LP12 into something else. :p

Regards,

Andy

So why not make it flexible?
Well, there are other alterntaives if you want more flexibility. A Graham comes to m mind, for instance.
Personally, I like the simplicity of the ARO design. I've no need to try a gazzilion cartridge options. If it only *works* on a handful of cartridges, so be it.

And before you dispute my statement that the Aro was made solely for the LP12 ... how many people out there use Aros on their non-Linn TTs? I've never come across any ... except, possibly, those who've cannibalised an LP12 into something else. :p

It's been said that Guy designed the ARO for an LP12. Not sure what other tables were considered.

An ARO can be used for other tables.( Michel, Raven, Avid, DPS, Garrard etc... ) I am not too keen on it but then there are many happy ARO/non Linn table owners.

i personally sold about 7 or 8 xerxes with aro's and also set one up on a technics sp direct drive recently.
my fave one that i heard was on a tweaked up pink triangle anniversary a stunning combo with a really inviting sound but all aro's seem to fizzle out at the very top and bottom of end of performance but it really really does get so much right compared to the competition.
do they still make aro's in small batches ?

Yes, they (Naim) still make the Aro, but as you say, in small batches. Naim have tried a number of times to discontinue it but demand still exists (in a small scale sense). I believe that if one wants to buy a new one there is a significant lead time.

I've been told that there is only one person making the arm at Naim.

If it's true, how quaint. ;)

i personally sold about 7 or 8 xerxes with aro's and also set one up on a technics sp direct drive recently.

OK, Darryl ... can you tell me what persuaded you to sell Aros with these TTs rather than, say Moerch ... Breuer ... Wheaton Triplanar ... Graham (and several others)? :confused:

Regards,

Andy

I've been told that there is only one person making the arm at Naim.

If it's true, how quaint. ;)

Yes it most probably is true - I think there were only ever two people any way (there's only one person building the arms at Schroeder too ;)).

advertisement

Back