advertisement

LP 12 Cartridge

Natara

pfm Member
I'm looking for a cartridge to go with LP12/Ittok that is forgiving of standard run of the mill recordings from the 70's, 80's and 90's.

If you're after MC, for me it was the Benz Ace - indeed a very forgiving cart that really flattered some well loved secondhand vinyl.

Great review from Fremer of the Hana SL which he compares to the Ortofon Quintet Black.

Basically he says that the black is "better" in many ways but ultimately the best quality of the SL is that it's really forgiving and really smooth. Sounds like a winner to me and a good option for the OP.

Have a listen to a Linn Krystal if your budget will stretch that far. It won't fix something that's been ruined by a ceramic cartridge with coins on top but it has no problem with some of the more difficult recordings that sounded harsh and unpleasant with my old AT-F7. It's also the first cartridge I have used that doesn't suffer from inner groove distortion on records that are cut right to the label.

Hi and thank you so far I have a Trichord Dino that has switch settings for both MM and MC so at this stage anything is open. I currently use a Dynavetcor 10 x 5 and have also had an AT OC9 which were great carts but the Dyna is on its last legs and the AT was not very tolerant and collected so much dust. Yes I do have a record cleaner but there are over a thousand records to clean and some are just not great pressings or recordings so I need a cart to be quite tolerant.
ps. My budget is up to £400 I would prefer new but if the right cart came along from the right source I'm not averse to buying used.

As mentioned earlier used Benz Micro Ace for more polite kind of presentation or Zyx R50 Bloom which many compare to Decca because of its lively performance , I own both and they're staying ,
as to the new AT33PTG comes to mind , very even performer
MM I would look at Nagaoka , MP200 or MP300 for mellow kind of sound
2M Black, Bronze for more accurate sound

Your Dino has MC loading settings for 33, 100, and 1000 Ohm. Since there is nothing between 100 and 1000 Ohms, the Hana SL is out of the running. Also you will not get the best of the Benz at 100 Ohms. As such, I'd say the safest MC options are either to get another 10x5 or one of the AT33 variants. For a less conventional option, I highly rate the Grado Reference wood bodied moving Iron carts but you need to be sure your system is not too susceptible to RFI as they are unshielded.

Your Dino has MC loading settings for 33, 100, and 1000 Ohm. Since there is nothing between 100 and 1000 Ohms, the Hana SL is out of the running. Also you will not get the best of the Benz at 100 Ohms. As such, I'd say the safest MC options are either to get another 10x5 or one of the AT33 variants. For a less conventional option, I highly rate the Grado Reference wood bodied moving Iron carts but you need to be sure your system is not too susceptible to RFI as they are unshielded.

He has 1k option , with help of loading plugs can go anywhere from 1k to 1ohm, Benz works fine with 100ohm , frequency response for loading between 100R-470R measured in my system don't show any difference

At nearly £600 the Hana is a bit pricey what about the EL and EH?

I run an EL in my LP12/Nima and am very happy with it. It's not earth-shattering (and they're not the bargain they were), just a well-rounded does-most-things-well cartridge. This is into a Dyna P75 phonostage.

advertisement

Back