advertisement

Low cost psu for 32.5

Would there be any advantage in using 4 x 25-0 transformers do you think?
Then I would actually have all the four separate secondary voltages, or is this reasoning pure nonsense (I believe it might well be ;) )?
Anyway, I'll try to give Les a ring on Monday or Tuesday - will be very busy for the next couple of day, reapairing a leaking roof.

Thanks for all kind advice - highly appreciated!

:)

Cheers
Peter

I meant there are four secondary windings, giving four pairs of wires, where you get avout 27Volts AC between the ends of each the pairs.
Martin, the burnt out Nuvoterm transformer in my HICAP has only six wires coming out of it, not eight - this would indicate 2 x 27-0-27(?) :confused:

Apart from the transformer, everything else inside this particular HICAP seems to be well and alive, which leaves me with two options - trying to replace the faulty transformer with one, or two new ones and keeping the rest of it intact, i.e. trying to hang on to the original HICAP "sound", if at all possible.
Or, I could use the HICAP and what's left of it as the basis for the "raw dc psu" (acoustica) , and then fit 2 superregs inside the 32.5.

Before deciding what to do: Is there a general consensus on this forum that separate supply + superregs sound "better" than a HICAP, or just "different"?
Cheers
Peter

Anybody here who prefer the "original Naim sound" of the HICAP to that of a Naim pre with super regulators?
Don't wish to be a pain, but since I've no opportunity to listen and compare these two "options" - any advice would be most welcome, before "surgery" commences.
I remember that I just loved the sound of the HICAPped 32.5 in the 80's and early 90's.
Cheers
Peter

Hi Peter,

Im not gonna say diy psu as suggested etc is defo better, others do say so though. You know my view on how to proceed with this blown hicap as I knew a direct trafo drop in would not be so easy as it sounds on paper to find. Have a look at the Teddyreg thread too.. these are smaller, diy regulators; if you could had a series if them in a (raw dc) psu feeding as many 32.5 boards as poss, then by its very nature it'd surely stomp a '2 reg' hicap..

but what has Les suggested, did you manage to have a word?

I tried him on the phone this morning and also sent an e-mail - got an auto reply back, saying to call between 2 pm and 4 pm, which is what I'll try.
It was mildly disappointing to find that the transformer was a goner, but then again...you take your chances :)

Yeah; about the difference in music presentation between a hicap and other supplies, powering a Naim pre - I realize that other supplies possibly can sound both different and better, but sometimes it can also be matter of preference - hence my question.

advertisement

Back