advertisement

Lost Marvin Gaye tapes

Interesting story on the BBC about a cache of dozens of unreleased Marvin Gaye rehearsal tapes in Belgium.

Highlights how physical ownership of the tapes doesn't automatically mean legal ownership of the contents - it sounds like there's a lot of legal wrangling ahead before anyone gets to hear any of the recordings...

Interesting because the story has surfaced before some years back and the tapes were deemed to be interestung rehearsal tapes but little more. The fami;y declined to bite then. I wonder if they will now.

I have the album ‘Midnight Love‘ from 1982 which has Sexual Healing on it.
I would guess that whatever has been found on lost tapes might be more of Gaye’s noodling about with the Roland TR-808 drum machine which heavily influences the Midnight Love album.

I think there was a story years ago about that 808 drum machine that still had the drum sequence from Sexual Healing saved on it. (that might be tripe?)

@Big Tabs I found a coverless copy of Midnight Love the other week for a quid. I quite like the sound of it with the 808 but it's still in the 'limbo' pile while I decide whether to keep it or take to the charity shop.

@Big Tabs I found a coverless copy of Midnight Love the other week for a quid. I quite like the sound of it with the 808 but it's still in the 'limbo' pile while I decide whether to keep it or take to the charity shop.

I haven’t played my c.d. copy for ages, but I bought it more out of interest than expecting any album-love.

Remember buying Midnight Love when it was released back in the early 1980’s. Disappeared from my collection years ago.

I doubt there will be anything of merit in these lost tapes there seldom is.

I have midnight love on vinyl, not spun it in a long while.

His Ostend years were rather desperate.

Marvin really wasn’t in a good place towards the end.
But in his heyday he was absolutely at the top of the tree.

advertisement

Back