advertisement

Looking for an end game preamp. for ATC Active

The suggestion to use an RME ADI-2 DAC or Pro as pre-amp is a very good one. I also recommend a Sugden MC LA-4 if you have many inputs.
The guy has a Dave already which sounds far better than the RME as a preamp into ATC actives (I say that from personal experience). I’m not sure why he would consider a retrograde step in sound quality as a way forward.

this could be good

If you have really decided to have a pre, one of the very, very best systems I have heard used a Soulution pre in to active ATC - it was absolutely superb.

For what it's worth, when I had a pair of ATC 100ASLs on home demo recently, I did try driving them directly from my DAVE/ Mscaler/ Melco, in place of my Accuphase C2150 pre. It was only out of curiosity - I need the preamp because I use an LP12, & also need its direct switching function when using the stereo speakers in my Atmos surround system.

I can understand folk liking DAVE direct; it gives a clear, etched quality to the sound. But it wasn't really to my taste as I found it rather tiring to listen to. Guess it's just something you need to try for yourself.

For me the challenge is the Dave will give you a pure output from your music into your ATC's. If the sound coming from your Dave is not to your liking then in effect your looking for a pre amp to add its own sound signature more to your liking. That's a very expensive tone control and in the absence of extensive auditions likely a long and expensive road to travel.

I can recommend the Trinnov Amethyst - perhaps the best all round preamp on the market - if it fits within your budget. Plenty of inputs, no complaints about sound quality, outstanding after sales service, and it has a superb built in DRC system.

Note that the Amethyst has four output channels so that you can properly integrate subwoofers - not that you are likely need them with your ATCs - in a 2.2 configuration with DSP crossovers and DRC on all outputs.

See: https://www.trinnov.com/en/products/amethyst/

https://hifiplus.com/articles/trinnov-amethyst-preamp/#:~:text=The Trinnov Amethyst is a,where you expect wonderful preamps.

https://www.soundstagesimplifi.com/...9-trinnov-amethyst-dac-preamplifier-processor

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/as...-trinnov-amethyst-processor-hands-on.3124328/

https://futureaudiophile.com/trinnov-amethyst-stereo-preamplifier-reviewed/
Strongly second this recommendation.

I have ATC50Asls plus a single Velodyne DD12plus, and a Hugo TT2 with a P.S. Audio memory player transport. The Trinnov Amethyst is by a country mile the most important component in my system. I have a pretty good room but the Amethyst makes a shockingly big difference.

Customer support is superb. I’ve had three calls totalling 1.5 hours in the last six weeks as I had an issue (turned out to be my fault as I had forgotten that I had EQ already applied to the sub) and this was all free, non techy. They VPNed in from Paris.

Salman

you have really decided to have a pre, one of the very, very best systems I have heard used a Soulution pre in to active ATC - it was absolutely superb.
Which one ? There is 3 or 4.

The “base “ one is in my budget range so the 325 ?

I’ve narrowed my choice down again.

Had a Accuphase on loan - the C2300 - listened to it more over the weekend and it’s a very, very good preamp.

It’s not for me, it seems too midrange centric for my taste. The bass and treble was all there, but the midrange took center stage in my room / system. It lacked a bit of low end “thump” for my taste.

I put my Chord Ultima Pre. 3 back in and it did sound rather good.

Dynamic, punchy bass and a real bite to guitars and such.

Perhaps a touch “too enthusiastic” if I was to nitpick and be totally honest.

I’ll have the Octave HP300SE late this week to loan out and try in my system.

@seadog7 after many years of experiments with preamps I came to the conclusion that connecting the Dave direct to the my ATC 150 actives is the best sound. I also came to the same conclusion when I had the ATC 40 actives. I tried all sorts including a very nice tube preamp but at best they all coloured the sound and at worst most degraded the sound

I tried DAVE direct for a long time, I thought was good / very good.

But something seemed missing, I also got the ATC SCM100ASLT at the same time.

I end up thinking, “what’s all the fuss about these active speakers” it wasn’t that dynamic or detailed l, it just seemed good - but very average for the money invested.

Then I put a loan Chord Ultima Pre. 3 in the chain and I was gobsmacked at the improvement.

The dynamic range got scary good, resolution improved, the bass seemed to drop another octave and hit harder, and the soundstage really opened up a lot more.

I’m definitely in a preamp. is better than DAC direct camp now.

I purchased a SCA2 and the SCM100ASLT at the same time. Over the years I've cycled DACs and experimented with direct as well as inline attenuators and digital volume control. Bottom line, the SCA2 has never been removed from the chain.

As I've not been able to use the 100ASLT for the past few years (an extension is underway to take care of that) I've been using a Phonitor 2 as preamp for SCM10-2 and SCM20-2a actives. It's pretty damned good also.

Which one ? There is 3 or 4.

The “base “ one is in my budget range so the 325 ?
Unfortunately, I have no idea, but it was so good that I went looking for the make of the pre in the system, and I NEVER do that. I remember thinking that if I was ever in the market for a high-end preamplifier, or any high-end amplification, that would be a manufacturer that I would have to listen to. It remains the best sound that I have ever heard at a hifi show, or in any dealer.

Their distributor seems to be http://www.selectaudio.co.uk

Good luck.

Unfortunately, I have no idea, but it was so good that I went looking for the make of the pre in the system, and I NEVER do that. I remember thinking that if I was ever in the market for a high-end preamplifier, or any high-end amplification, that would be a manufacturer that I would have to listen to. It remains the best sound that I have ever heard at a hifi show, or in any dealer.

Their distributor seems to be http://www.selectaudio.co.uk

Good luck.
K J Westone sell them.

The 725 should be reasonable at that price.

This?
wow . well spotted mand , superb pre amp . tried the valve vto1 which blew me away but the remote was a pitb !!!! belles make exceptional stuff , great source too from winters audio

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I tried DAVE direct for a long time, I thought was good / very good.

But something seemed missing, I also got the ATC SCM100ASLT at the same time.

I end up thinking, “what’s all the fuss about these active speakers” it wasn’t that dynamic or detailed l, it just seemed good - but very average for the money invested.

Then I put a loan Chord Ultima Pre. 3 in the chain and I was gobsmacked at the improvement.

The dynamic range got scary good, resolution improved, the bass seemed to drop another octave and hit harder, and the soundstage really opened up a lot more.

I’m definitely in a preamp. is better than DAC direct camp now.
Cool, that is good feed back on your experiences. I will keep an eye on your search and who knows it might end up with me trying what you decide to do!!

Pre-amp = magic box of does nothing.
If you want to change the sound I guess it's really a choice between DSP/DRC solution or valve, to taste.

Preamps are funny things really. If you don't need the volume control or extra inputs, then theoretically they serve no useful purpose at all. Thing is, there are loads of people that prefer one in the chain. I suspect oftentimes, this is down to better impedance matching rather than anything else (giving the sense of more 'body' and dynamics to music), but I suppose gain is a factor too, depending on the amp you're using.

For the record, I'm a DAVE owner and use it direct to my power amp. Like others, I have always been disappointed with the degradation in detail when using a pre, but I'll admit that I've never tried any high-end preamps. Oddly enough, I came across this thread because I was thinking of trying one myself. I can't afford any of the ones you're looking at, but I am interested to hear what a nice valve pre might do in my system (but then I'm using a low gain Pass Labs power amp, so wondering if a bit of gain might help).

On the subject of impedance matching, just as an experiment, it might be fun to try a unity gain buffer (cathode follower) between your DAVE and ATCs. You might be surprised at how similar the effect is to some of the preamps you're looking at in terms of that extra 'slam' factor.

Have fun...

advertisement

Back