advertisement

Looking for a speaker change

Lee T

pfm Member
Currently using Neat Petite 3 in a smallish room on the end of a Naim Uniti-2/Quad 77/ Cd & Budget vinyl set up.

I have been using these for many years now & wanted to try something else second hand.
The Neats are fast & direct with a tight bottom end, though extended enough for my room.
They will need to sit around 30cm from a rear wall & 2m apart/ish.

I do love the Neats but just want to try something else. I can always move them on if they don't suit.

My music tastes are varied these days from Electronica/funk/jazz funk/ modern alternative stuff. Anything from Kraftwerk to modern alternatives & old school funk & modern alternatives. Rock taking more of a back seat these days but i need a good all rounder. Not interested in overblown bass & tizzy top, mids are it for me, must have lots of midrange detail with grip & punch lower down.

Don't know your budget, but must admit I've been very impressed with a pair of used Q Acoustics Concept 20s I picked up recently (£140) as an alternative to the 104ab I use in system 2. The room is 12 x 12 and amps are either 80s Cambridge C50/A50 or a Puresound A30, sources are 401/R200, 90s Technics cdp and Wiim Pro + Caimen SEG. The sound to my ears is clean and punchy with nice mids and hf, these could well be worth a, punt as they can be picked up pretty cheap used though origin get nally sold for circa £500.

I have a pair of hORNS FP10s in a room that is 3.5m by 3.7m so I'm listening in a true near field position, less than 2m away from the speakers. They are horn loaded so 95 db sensitive and an 8ohm load so a doddle to drive (I use a 20w pair of SET monoblocs but have also used 180w SS amps with them and they still sing amazingly).

I run these in a system that comprises a digital front end that retails new for around £20k and aplification that retails new for £30k. The speakers were £4k new; I've tried alternatives that cost four times this (Stenheim Alumine 2s) and the FP10s were still preferred. The point is that these speakers perform exceptionally even in a reasonably high end system. Think of them as a £10k speaker that someone priced very wrongly,

HiFi Emporium have a pair for £1800 inluding stands. You will not get a better speaker for even four times that money.

home by Greg Turner, on Flickr

Looking for something different or more of a sideways move?
Budget?
Smaller Amphions sound much bigger than they are, easy to place and sound lovely, non fatiguing.
Not really looking to upgrade or downgrade, just something else really, you know what it's like, try something new. The Neats will be staying of course, getting hold of a pair of these is nigh on impossible.

What about one of the smaller Shahinian models? Everything else is going to be much of a muchness.

I have a pair of hORNS FP10s in a room that is 3.5m by 3.7m so I'm listening in a true near field position, less than 2m away from the speakers. They are horn loaded so 95 db sensitive and an 8ohm load so a doddle to drive (I use a 20w pair of SET monoblocs but have also used 180w SS amps with them and they still sing amazingly).

I run these in a system that comprises a digital front end that retails new for around £20k and aplification that retails new for £30k. The speakers were £4k new; I've tried alternatives that cost four times this (Stenheim Alumine 2s) and the FP10s were still preferred. The point is that these speakers perform exceptionally even in a reasonably high end system. Think of them as a £10k speaker that someone priced very wrongly,

HiFi Emporium have a pair for £1800 inluding stands. You will not get a better speaker for even four times that money.

home by Greg Turner, on Flick

I had a look at their website and see the also sell a 12 and 15 inch version. Most interesting!

I had a look at their website and see the also sell a 12 and 15 inch version. Most interesting!
They do indeed - I have a pair of FP15s coming tomorrow, funnily enough from the chap I bought the FP10s from. He also made the music server I use - the LDMS Maxi Mini. Almost certainly the FP15s will be too big for my room and will pressurise it to too great an extent, but since they are a big step up otherwise over the FP10s it's worth hearing them.

home by Greg Turner, on Flickr

Classy room

I think we're in a similar position. In a smallish room I'm currently using Russell K Black 50's. I really like them but have this 'I wonder what something else would sound like' urge. I'm 99% certain that I'll try and sell and get something else - but wonder if I might miss them. Have you tried floorstanders? I had always felt my room wasn't suitable but I had Oberon 5's for a while and they worked well - just nowhere near the detail of the Russell K's. Tried different subs too but didn't get on with them and the extra wiring!

I don’t think you could go wrong with a pair of Ruark Talismans and they are dirt cheap used.

I speak from personal experience as I went from Petites to Talisman 2’s as they didn’t suit my room after a house move. I kept them for ten years which is saying something given my speaker history!

advertisement

Back