advertisement

London town and others

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
Have not been on a proper bender up West since pre Covid, was gobsmacked by so few people out and about in the West end, even traffic was a lot less.

Are all towns/cities struggling like this? surely this is a recession in everything but name

I live 8 miles from the West End and can't think when I last went for a night out there.

Our local pubs and restaurants are still very busy at the weekend.

Whenever I ride through Shoreditch and Liverpool St on a Friday/Saturday night the streets are packed with people on a big night out.

I'm not sure the West End is the draw it used to be.

Have not been on a proper bender up West since pre Covid, was gobsmacked by so few people out and about in the West end, even traffic was a lot less.

Are all towns/cities struggling like this? surely this is a recession in everything but name

depends on the day and the location.

The great pubs and restaurants near Liverpool Street, rammed on a Friday, dead on a Saturday. Some bits of Fitzrovia dead on a Friday, rammed on a Saturday. We'll be around Coal Drops Yard again today, and it is consistently busy across the weekend, same as Marylebone.

we were out and about in and around Tooley Street and Bermondsey last weekend, and were surprised at how busy it was.

There are loads of areas of London close to the centre, that have grown recently and become really popular. We would never go out in what I would call the "West End" unless it was for a very specific thing. Probably the closest we get is Holborn, Marylebone and perhaps Fitzrovia.

Most of what we see is thriving and generally busy

bold statement!
post-14251-eddie-murphy-i-see-what-you-di-paqx-jpeg.22077

Yup, finding the same as others ! Hampstead and surrounding areas very, very, busy. Stratford shopping centre in the east of London
is always heaving with peeps. And that a poorer part of town.... they say !

Pubs around West End are usually very busy on Thursday nights. I do think the young people of today don’t go out as much as our generation did in our youth.

Cheers BB

I remember the top end ofTottenham Court Road heaving with people around 11pm, very few last night, may be just Fitzrovia.

Not highfalutin Lundun but I've noticed around my way that it's now a 4 day weekend starting on Thursday night right through to Sunday night, the amount of people who must not have work on a Monday morning never fails to amaze me as I see them all staggering around town.

This is not your luxury evening out I'm talking about though, more your old school shirt 'n shoes brigade getting tanked up, having a scrap and spilling their kebab all over the pavement on the walk home.

Leeds is always busy. Da yoof congregate in the centre, pubs in the suburbs are struggling. Some suburbs are trendy and get the trade, others less so.

we were out and about in and around Tooley Street and Bermondsey last weekend, and were surprised at how busy it was.

There are loads of areas of London close to the centre, that have grown recently and become really popular. We would never go out in what I would call the "West End" unless it was for a very specific thing. Probably the closest we get is Holborn, Marylebone and perhaps Fitzrovia.

Most of what we see is thriving and generally busy
ah happy memories of Tooley street , used to be lots of smells from local enterprises if i recall

ah happy memories of Tooley street , used to be lots of smells from local enterprises if i recall

I've been visiting around here since about 1970, and those are not my recollections. We've stayed at The Dixon a few times, nice room but over priced.

advertisement

Back