advertisement

London in the 60's...

It's amazing how few people there are in the London pix.

Now the whole place is jammed and a nightmare to get around.

Jack

A bit before my time but very interesting, thanks for the link. Some of those cars are great, the e-type and I think I saw a mini Marcos?

Woo-hoo I've seen a 'Golden Egg'...we used to have one of those in Welwyn Garden....didn't know they were a chain...feeling nostalgic even tho' I was only around for 4 years of the decade.

Paul

Woo-hoo I've seen a 'Golden Egg'...we used to have one of those in Welwyn Garden....didn't know they were a chain...feeling nostalgic even tho' I was only around for 4 years of the decade.

Paul

Just remembered it used to be called the 'Runny Egg' by some wags...who said the golden age of comedy was over.

Many thanks for the Geordie link - many interesting pictures of my alma mater!

malcolm

Delightful pics- I used to drink in the Dove in the '80's. Strange to think that was as far away in time as the period between the 60's pic being taken and my visits there. The past really is a foreign country.....:rolleyes:

Wow! Weren't cars interesting in those days! And I was living and driving in London for most of the sixties. I had forgotten (the sixties had a terrible affect on memory).

Nice piccies; ta!

Brilliant link on the London photos, very evocative. Looks like we still exported cars then, anyone notice the Volvo 1800 cropping up a few times with the famed ST1 reg?

Mr Cat. Thank you.
That's my childhood memories right there. That was brilliant. Thanks

The third photo with the car dealer on the right - that's either what is now the American car dealer in Castlenau, south of Hammersmith Bridge, or it's on Goldhawk Road. I think. (?)
It could be anywhere of course, couldn't it, but it's just so absorbing.

I see Simon Templar is doing
his rounds in his ST1 Volvo. :D

The Intrepid Fox, its a bit
different nowadays. ;)

:> http://www.intrepidfox.com/

How the memories flood back
and as another poster says,the
only difference is the cars and
people plus hardly any double
yellow no parking lines and no
red zones!! :)

Thanks for posting Mr Cat. :)

Maybe these photos are part of
a location search for episodes to
do with the TV series The Saint?

Great stuff Mr Cat, it brings back memories of my visits with school, I took photos at the time, one of Goldie the eagle, who escaped from the zoo and terrorised folks walking their dogs in Regents Park. Sadly they’ve been put away in that safe place where no one can find them.
By the way! Did anybody ells spot Tony Hancock in one of the photos. :)

London has hardly changed at all, just the people and the cars.

But...

Many fewer people than today. Cars/trucks/vans were mostly British. Sklyine is quite different. Shops look like individual businesses not chain stores.

One thing that really strikes me is the relative lack of clutter and visual distraction. Now there are traffic signals, road markings, lights, signs, billboards, etc. everywhere. And the visual noise is matched by the aural.

advertisement

Back