advertisement

London Audio Show - Heathrow

I used to go to the Penta show decades ago. Cut to a couple of years ago my wife and I watched The Sweeney as I had never seen it. There was an episode where they had to go to a hotel near Heathrow and they walked into a hotel lobby and I thought 'that looks familiar' - yes The Penta with the same decor from the 70s kept through the 80s.

Ah The Penta Show- when Hifi was important to more people. šŸ‘

My-HiEnd goes so you donā€™t have to!

PS His videos are really well indexed with linked time-stamps (in the blurb below the video) so if you are interested in a specific room you can just click straight to it.

The Tannoys with the Sugden amps was best of show imo. But overall I echo the others here; very light show, few exhibitors, narrow product ranges on display, and most rooms sounded little more than ok despite the significant price tags (par for the course with shows, I know). I arrived lunchtime today, last day, with 2.5 hours to go. Several exhibitors including MFA had already packed up and left, making a mockery of those of us who buy tickets. I'd give it a C- as shows go, and can't imagine this current Chester format has legs for the next year unless there is a significant increase in exhibitors

I remember the Penta shows with fondness.

This show was nicely organised and at least the parking was made free. However, I arrived at 9.30 on Sat morning and was lucky to find a spot. By the time I left, cars were strewn all over the place.

I liked the show, but it was too small. I did an initial pass and double backed to the rooms I liked, but I had finished in a couple of hours.
Footfall seemed good, it looked like a lot of people attended.

It would be great if they could get more exhibitors for future shows, but it's really difficult now it seems to garner interest for audio shows in the UK.

I also remember the Penta show of the 1980s with great affection. Hifi was king then. So many brands to see and hear, having read about them in magazines for the rest of the year. Most of the brands now gone like our youthā€¦.
Donuk

In fact I like such small formats compared to the crowded and noisy mega-shows in a way. It allows to assess gear for yourself rather than theoretically listen to the super expensive stuff.

I had some agenda and almost completed what was intended:

New Tannoy SGM 10, btw really liked that tiny Heed amp

New (returned) format of Audio Note speakers with AX-2. Expectation was to hear with M2/P2 pairing but there was Cobra which I donā€™t like much. Still nice setup

Russell K. Again hoped for 50s but there were 100s today.

Also at small shows itā€™s easier to listen to some hi-end like it is in your real listening room, no queues

Quick remainder of MSB sound

Nice analog setup

Some heavyweight Italian tubes

Last edited:
In fact I like such small formats compared to the crowded and noisy mega-shows in a way. It allows to assess gear for yourself rather than theoretically listen to the super expensive stuff.

I had some agenda and almost completed what was intended:

New Tannoy SGM 10, btw really liked that tiny Heed amp

New (returned) format of Audio Note speakers with AX-2. Expectation was to hear with M2/P2 pairing but there was Cobra which I donā€™t like much. Still nice setup

тŠ¾Ń€ 2 сŠŗŠ°Ń‡Š°Ń‚ŃŒ Š½Š° тŠµŠ»ŠµŃ„Š¾Š½ Š² хŠ¾Ń€Š¾ŃˆŠµŠ¼ ŠŗŠ°Ń‡ŠµŃŃ‚Š²Šµ

Russell K. Again hoped for 50s but there were 100s today.

Also at small shows itā€™s easier to listen to some hi-end like it is in your real listening room, no queues

Quick remainder of MSB sound

Nice analog setup

Some heavyweight Italian tubes

That little Heed/Qutest combo with the Tannoys sounded good. I was less taken by the audio note room but maybe I just wasnā€™t into the music they played when I visited. Sounded rather diffuse and a bit thin to me

I went. There was a surprisingly small number of rooms. How can a London based show have such a low turnout of exhibitors? The Whittlebury show was substantially bigger than this. Most rooms sounded average to me. OK so I was there early so maybe some kit needed to warm up a bit but a return to many rooms left me underwhelmed. One of the reasons I made the journey was to hear some Gershman speakers. In this case their Monitor Studio standmounts. I was hoping that they might have the relaxed presentation of their Avant Guarde model that I owned for a few years and really enjoyed but no. I suppose ā€˜Studioā€™ says it all. Still pretty good just not what I was hoping for.

They did have a very nice looking Zavfino turntable in the system.

The Winters Audio room was impressive. The system was being driven by a Gryphon Essence 120 integrated paired with Giya loudspeakers and centre stage a direct drive turntable with a milled aluminium plinth from a new UK company called Onkk. Very nice if you like the curvacious look. Fitted with a Tri-Planer arm and a Murasakino Sumile cartridge. It all sounded really good.

Audio Note delivers again. I walked in to Rage Against the Machine being played. A nice change from the usual meh. Those small pair of Ax2 standmounts were amazing. Rage was followed up with some Gorillaz which again sounded great. A very impressive system at the low end of their product range.

The other room I really liked was the Russell K room which was running a pair of the RED 50se standmounts with Rega amplification. Lovely sounding speakers.

Quite disappointing overall. Ā£3 for a half filled cup of tea and ULEZ charges donā€™t help either. I doubt I'll bother next year.
Whittlebury was way better IMO.
Thanks for sharing some pics

advertisement

Back