advertisement

Logitech Media Server issues

Bigbobby666

pfm Member
Hi all... I was having some buffering issues with JRiver streaming wirelessly from my NAS i was using the stock Synology media server but now I have the Logitech Media Server running... It seems a LOT more responsive with JRiver. A LOT more! This feels like it may solve the buffering issue. I'll continue using it and see.

HOWEVER! The formatting of my music files is all over the place!
  1. it appears to be ignoring the 'compilation' tag and it shows Artists with a single track
  2. i have some albums that have multiple versions 44 / 96 / 192 they all get grouped into the same folder
  3. some track orderings have multiples of the same number in them - ie three tracks labled '1'

I've always used XLD to rip my FLACs and have spent quite some time getting all the metadata correct so the above is a bit annoying. Any tips on how to get it back in order?

1)
Do the TAGS also contain a "album artist" tag?
Also, there is a setting in the options "group compilations under individual artists" it may be checked.

2)
Only chance you have is to tag them with a comment of the sample rate for example in the album title.

3)
Probably compilations with several discs so you have Disc 1 - Track 1 and Disc 2 - Track 1 all in on folder. You're probably missing a "discs nr" tag, or have an option set to group these all together.

1)
Do the TAGS also contain a "album artist" tag?
Also, there is a setting in the options "group compilations under individual artists" it may be checked.

2)
Only chance you have is to tag them with a comment of the sample rate for example in the album title.

3)
Probably compilations with several discs so you have Disc 1 - Track 1 and Disc 2 - Track 1 all in on folder. You're probably missing a "discs nr" tag, or have an option set to group these all together.

Awesome. That all makes sense. Tho I'm fairly sure I have the 'disks' information. Will look into this.

I've never been satisfied with the way any of these programs treat Comps. Can be a nightmare, esp on classical albums where music by different composers gets scattered even though it's the same bloomin orchestra.

I like LMS a lot but never really solved this issue.

There's nothing wrong, imho to running two or more servers. If listening to classical music then find a server that you are happy with in setting up the "album" tag such that the server just reads the folder/directory as the album title.

A bit of a rough way to sort the issue, but what's the difference between changing servers and changing a record??

There's nothing wrong, imho to running two or more servers. If listening to classical music then find a server that you are happy with in setting up the "album" tag such that the server just reads the folder/directory as the album title.

A bit of a rough way to sort the issue, but what's the difference between changing servers and changing a record??

good idea, but i'm after something that will work off one library with JRiver - as my main usecase is: i pick up the iPad and select what i want to play - as far as i know there isn't the function to change media servers in the JRemote sortware, so that would mean turning on the tv - logging into the mac mini, going to jriver... etc etc.

For various reasons I run 3 music servers over 2 devices with both MP3 and flac files and Bliss, with a little bit of help at the beginning, keeps album titles, track names, file locations and album art in order with no further input from me

advertisement

Back