advertisement

Log burner

I used wedges to split a large load of pretty long logs that someone gave us (major tree trimming), I enjoyed it. Split them in half then left them to dry out some more over several weeks of the summer before sawing up by hand. Great exercise, though neighbours probably think I'm nuts.

I never buy kiln dried logs, seems perverse to have them cooked and use up a load of energy before burning them to release some. Prefer to buy seasoned logs and then store for good amount of time in a shelter with good airflow before use.

Splitting maul or largish splitting axe will be fine with those. I could happily chop wood all day everyday but it doesn't pay well.

I have a cheap home log splitter that wo is really well on fresh cut wood, £200 from screwfix

It doesn’t cut the 1 year old rounds of ash and oak I was recently given though, suspect I am going to have to hire something or start them off with a circular saw cut

Could do with that tractor hitched one pointy, that looks the right tool for the job

That's lovely Tigerjones. We may build some more covered area sometime. The plastic sheeting lacks a certain something.

I was nervous about a chainsaw - a friend accidentally attempted to cut his wife's leg off (don't tell your wife that, Tiger...). Anyway I got this electric rechargeable one and it's been brilliant both for felling small trees and cutting them up.

Now - axe or wedge? I have these big things to split some time.

After reading up, I bought a Fiskar X25 - not cheap, but really impressed with it, and would highly recommend (way better than my heavy maul for splitting, and under half the weight). Might get the X27 at some point.

Still use the chainsaw or - if I'm feeling energetic - sledgehammer and log grenade if the wood is too knotted though.

Splitting maul or largish splitting axe will be fine with those. I could happily chop wood all day everyday but it doesn't pay well.
Now, I don't mind chopping wood
And I don't care if the money's no good
You take what you need
And you leave the rest
But they should never
Have taken the very best

After reading up, I bought a Fiskar X25 - not cheap, but really impressed with it, and would highly recommend (way better than my heavy maul for splitting, and under half the weight). Might get the X27 at some point.
Always fancied having a go with a a Fiskars axe. Been close to buying one. However, I do love my Gransforth Bruks. Fantastic axes.

Still use the chainsaw or - if I'm feeling energetic - sledgehammer and log grenade if the wood is too knotted though.

Exactly what I have been doing over the last few days, with some wood (mixture of holm oak and beech) acquired from a nearby cemetary which has recently had some tree work done. Stihl MS-390 + 3kg splitting maul + wood grenade + chopping axe = pleasantly aching arms and shoulders + huge store of wood. Look forward to burning some of it next year.

Exactly what I have been doing over the last few days, with some wood (mixture of holm oak and beech) acquired from a nearby cemetary which has recently had some tree work done. Stihl MS-390 + 3kg splitting maul + wood grenade + chopping axe = pleasantly aching arms and shoulders + huge store of wood. Look forward to burning some of it next year.

It's definitely a good workout - hits the back and legs too. Like the old saying goes: "wood is the only thing that warms you twice - once when you split it, and again when you burn it"!

Do it, you won't regret it - well, unless you don't bother with any safety gear, in which case the possibility of regret increases a fair bit.

It's the wife, Michael. She doesn't trust me not to remove part of my body with it. She's probably right.

advertisement

Back