advertisement

Lockdown, what lockdown?

Nero

Re: Tired
We were just about to walk into the city along the canal, and there were so many walkers and bikers, that we got into the car instead to do our weekly shop.
The traffic outside the house is pretty much back to normal, and we even had a traffic jam on the bypass, just like normal summer on a Saturday.
Is the lockdown still on or did I miss something?

Very quiet here W of Leicester, very little man-made sound from anything, and especially compared to normal. Bliss actually.
It was busy by 15 minutes to opening at Tesco's this morning.

We seem to have a bunch of bikers racing on the bypass too, seemingly unable to use anything higher than 3rd gear, but I suppose it makes good Youtube footage. Essential trips my arse.

Much, much quieter in Sheffield & Peak District. Areas will vary, not everyone has a garden to sit in & canal tow paths are narrow & flat so may we’ll get a little crowded. You can hardly criticise others for doing what you were planning to do.

Motorcyclists are a potential menace.

Extremely quiet here in (very) sunny south London - occasional car going down the road and a very few well spaced people in the park out the back.

Mansfield quiet for foot traffic, but vehicular traffic seems to be up a bit. Easy to tell differences when out walking/cycling...

We seem to have a bunch of bikers racing on the bypass too, seemingly unable to use anything higher than 3rd gear, but I suppose it makes good Youtube footage. Essential trips my arse.

Hmmm - as I hit "Post Reply" last time, there was one screamed through the last 100 yards and out of the 30 limit. ***kers!

They have less than no sympathy from me when all too often, under normal road conditions, 20 minutes later your have an ambulance scream past....

Along our main road it’s a busy with foot traffic as I have ever seen. Not many cars though

Same here , nearly every garden has music , BBQ's and lots of people all enjoying the early summer sun .

Also have some prick on a kawasaki blasting up and down the road every hour or so with a race exhaust , the road as its residential is a 20mph speed limit , but the biker is obviously exempt as he must be doing 50+ by the end of the road , see what happens when a child or old person gets hit

22 minute walk to work in the morning is quiet, coming home seems to be a tad busier today. You don’t want to see me at work people!

it is absolutely busier here in NW Wales. I walk for an hour daily so any change in traffic is easily noticeable. I am quite surprised by just how many cars are on the road, if they were all going to the supermarket I have no chance of getting in for the weekly shop next week.

This is clearly what the Gov wants given their access to vast data and silence over this

Same here ! Local spandex clad wannabes maxing out their Pride and joys on the local bypass most evenings at the moment..... have to say the wheelie’s off both roundabouts are still pretty piss poor.

it is absolutely busier here in NW Wales. I walk for an hour daily so any change in traffic is easily noticeable. I am quite surprised by just how many cars are on the road, if they were all going to the supermarket I have no chance of getting in for the weekly shop next week.

This is clearly what the Gov wants given their access to vast data and silence over this
Police today drove up to Bus Stop Quarry (Allt Ddu) to see who was parking and why...Son says they were there this morning too.

We were just about to walk into the city along the canal, and there were so many walkers and bikers, that we got into the car instead to do our weekly shop.
The traffic outside the house is pretty much back to normal, and we even had a traffic jam on the bypass, just like normal summer on a Saturday.
Is the lockdown still on or did I miss something?
Well, you were out as much as the other people you saw.

You should see Clapham Common , They will need a one way system before long , never see so many runners , Err even what look like new runners

And as for dog walkers , Blimey I hope they all have their black poo bags or it could get very messy :eek:

About 50% busier out there today than a week ago. The curve’s flattening so some people are clearly taking a view on a sunny weekend. Too early I’d say.

You can hardly criticise others for doing what you were planning to do.

I absolutely take your point but I wasn't out for a stroll. I go out of the house once a week to shop. I am in a high risk age group judging by the data (not over 70 though) so I'm not looking for an excuse to wander about. Last time I went into the city, it was a ghost town.

I absolutely take your point but I wasn't out for a stroll. I go out of the house once a week to shop. I am in a high risk age group judging by the data (not over 70 though) so I'm not looking for an excuse to wander about. Last time I went into the city, it was a ghost town.
Fair enough, it just didn’t quite read like that. I am thankfully not in a high risk group but I cannot walk very well so rely on cycling for my exercise, I get a little tired of the ‘stay local’ virtue signallers; the vast majority are doing their utmost to adhere to social distancing.

We had our regular socially distanced street party tonight between 5 and 6 p.m. We all sit on our own pretty much open plan fronts and shout to each other from distances much further than two metres. We even had a comic play about a failed post office robbery, written by one of our neighbours and performed by other neighbours.

We live in a cul de sac, which helps as there is no through traffic, apart from the odd dog walker accessing the field at the bottom.

I've curtailed my customary walks. Before this bloody nightmare, I walked most days.. anywhere from a mile or so, up to ten miles. Often I wouldn't see a soul and I had the local paths all around the village pretty much to myself. Now, I find myself struggling to find anywhere that isn't overrun with bikers, runners, joggers and walkers. I can completely understand why people are suddenly into getting all this exercise.. as there's basically sod all else they are allowed to do.. but my fortunate position of living in something of a local beauty spot seems to be attracting people from far and wide. I'm now down to one good stiff walk of around 30 minutes every other day.

The almost total absence of the usual vapour trails from two nearby airports is nice. Birdsong is much more audible without the general background roar of traffic which afflicts us due to the village being on the major route from St Helens to Wigan.
However.. Ambulance sirens are much more audible than usual.. and each one has me wondering...

Finally.. Sodding wind chimes!!! One thing apart from CV which seems to have been with us since Christmas.. is wind. Some of my neighbours.. a lovely couple who I get on very well with (despite his poncey Linn system.... ;)) have some very posh wind chimes... Thing is being posh they have very loud and sonorous tones.
Unfortunately they are also totally non-melodic and tedious bloody tones. I hate them!!!

advertisement

Back