advertisement

Linn Tukan dead tweeter replacement

dingding

DingDing
Just managed to pick up a mint pair of Linn Tukan speakers on eBay, but sadly out the box. One of the tweeters has got low output and the other looks to be losing some of its ceramic coating, not wanting to send speakers back due to their condition, I’m trying to find a way of replacing the tweeters. These are a late pair with the three bar ceramic tweeter so I was wondering whether I could drop in a scan speak D2008 as a replacement or are there other alternatives ? Also what setting should I have the internal crossover set to?
any advice would be very much appreciated.

I’m pretty sure D2008 will drop straight in and will work but you would need to replace both. The best recommended replacement is the Hiquaphon OW1-92 which is also recommended as an upgrade over all Linn 015 or 038 tweeter variants… they’re not cheap though.

I’d contact Willy’s HIFI for definitive advice as they’re the distributor for both Scanspeak and Hiquaphon and they know their stuff.

Oh it’s not out the question, I needed to get a pair of speakers to pair with a nait50 for my office and thought it would be a good match. I will give them a few months and see how I get on if there a keeper I will consider it. I must say I’m very impressed so far.

I thought I would add a little follow-up to this post as I’ve been running my New to me, Linn Tukan speakers for a few months now. I have noticed that around the bass units it looks like the rubber has started to rot. I’ve cleaned them up and added some rubber lubricant normally used for cars to try and bring them back to life but as soon as it dries, you can see that there’s small cracks starting to appear. I understand that Linn no longer have spares for these speakers so it got me thinking, if there’s a drop in replacement available from the likes of Seas or Vifa.
I understand this is far more involved and just dropping the speaker into a box. However I just thought it might be worth asking if anyone else has had this issue and how they went about finding a solution. I know Linn katan drivers would work but they never come up for sale.
Any idea welcome
IMG-3301.jpg

New rubber surrounds should be obtainable, surprising that they have rotted, normally good for at least 50 years.
I must admit, I was surprised too. I believe these to be quite a late pair of Tukans and are in exceptional condition. I don’t know their history or the environment that they were once used in.

Blimey, I’ve never seen Linn surrounds deteriorate. Pretty sure it’s the same unit as used in Kabers, Keltiks (mid), 5140, 5120 etc, so not a rare part, you should be able to find matching parts on eBay, look at the part number on the back of the drivers

Pair of Keilidhs on eBay with those Hiq tweeters for £100. Surely cheaper to get ol Tukans or Keilidhs or whatev for the parts than £300+ just for tweeters?

Pair on now with those tweeters and bass units @ £170 b.i.n.

Gotta be economical to get all the right components in one go compared to getting all the bits and shipping and blah blah?

advertisement

Back