advertisement

Linn Sizmik or BK XLS300 subwoofer for Linn amp and bookshelves

LampBlack

This is my first post here. Hello!

I have recently bought a 2nd hand Linn system (LK140 amp and Katans) to replace the cheap but good hifi I got as a student. The system sounds breathtaking and I love it, but it is definitely lacking a little bass. I don’t want to go aktiv, so I would like to get a subwoofer for my small Linn system.

The sub would only be for playing music, and I am definitely not seeking to add lots of loud bass - I just want to extend that lovely accuracy of the katans to frequencies below 75Hz.

I have read that katans plus a Linn sizmik sound excellent. However, I have also heard that the sizmik can suffer from the class V amp failing and being impossible to repair and difficult to replace. I’ve also read that BK subs sound excellent and are reliable and repairable due to them having A/B amps. I’m thinking of getting the BK XLS300.

My heart is telling me to get a Linn sub for my Linn system, but my head is telling me to get the reliable BK sub. Both are about the same price (the BK brand new and the Sizmik off eBay).

Does anyone here have any knowledge of these things? Will I be able to hear a large difference between the two subs? I can’t audition the Sizmik to compare. Is the BK sub comparable to the Linn?

Many thanks!

Welcome!

It's true that the amp modules in the Sizmik weren't very reliable. And the Sizmik is an old product now, with very limited controls. (Only three low-pass frequency options.) Not only a risky purchase, but one with very limited ability to integrate with the rest of a system.
In general, integrating a sub with bookshelf speakers isn't easy, and isn't always musically successful.
But if you want to try it, don't fall for the notion that only one brand will do. Go for something with a better reliability record, and more flexible controls. I'd try the BK, in your shoes.

Last edited:
I have and have had numerous BK subs over the years and all have been reliable. All perform really well also and VFM is high due to their direct sales model.

I can thoroughly recommend the XXLS400 sealed sub for audio use. Its quite easy to integrate and is tight, tuneful and powerful.

I'd not expect Linn would support their older kit such as Sizmik sub - hence I'd buy a BK, they are really some of the best purchases around.

This is my first post here. Hello!

I have recently bought a 2nd hand Linn system (LK140 amp and Katans) to replace the cheap but good hifi I got as a student. The system sounds breathtaking and I love it, but it is definitely lacking a little bass. I don’t want to go aktiv, so I would like to get a subwoofer for my small Linn system.

The sub would only be for playing music, and I am definitely not seeking to add lots of loud bass - I just want to extend that lovely accuracy of the katans to frequencies below 75Hz.

I have read that katans plus a Linn sizmik sound excellent. However, I have also heard that the sizmik can suffer from the class V amp failing and being impossible to repair and difficult to replace. I’ve also read that BK subs sound excellent and are reliable and repairable due to them having A/B amps. I’m thinking of getting the BK XLS300.

My heart is telling me to get a Linn sub for my Linn system, but my head is telling me to get the reliable BK sub. Both are about the same price (the BK brand new and the Sizmik off eBay).

Does anyone here have any knowledge of these things? Will I be able to hear a large difference between the two subs? I can’t audition the Sizmik to compare. Is the BK sub comparable to the Linn?

Many thanks!
Hi

I have two pairs of Katan, black and cherry. Bought as prime speaker systems in 2 rooms and I ran them with LK's until

The until is until I heard them with a Klout. Without doubt they like power and control. So I bought a second Klout AND aktiv cards together with K400 and change of boards on the back unbelievable difference in imaging and sound.

I had mounted them solidly to the back wall with they relevant Linn wall brackets (tightened the image) and then went, what about a Sizmik.

Trip to my Linn dealer, took my kit, plugged in the Sizmik - its designed for the Katans. The difference was breathtaking and outshone a hugely expensive pair of Linn speakers (same system). Hamish was stunned and he said he would never dem my combination again when he has top of the range Linn stuff in, it blew them away.

Yes the Sizmik WILL blow and Linn will tell you their secret parts are unobtainium and you should spend bonkers money on another sub (they told me that and wouldn't identify the code of the defective part to me).

Just pull the amp, open the case and I bet you will see it is the mosfet Linn say is unobtainium (it's jut not obtainable from THEM).

It is available on the net from loads of suppliers, just take the part No and order one (I ordered 2) the problem is a lack of a decent heatsink
which caused it to collapse. I now carry a spare as standard. If yours does go you can find photo's of the part on the web. Better still, just take the amp out and photograph the board in case it goes!

If you can afford to go active with Klouts (very affordable now) you will be blown away and that marriage is needed to elevate the Katans to the position in history that to my mind makes them legend.

The only upgrade I would now consider in the speaker area would be to Isobariks and even then I'd go Klout and aktiv again (I'd need another)

I have fallen into the Linn redundant and unrepairable trap with my system. I can't knock the sound I get, I can knock the apparent total lack of care for long term customers (Karik, Numerik, Kairn). We aren't buying mega price cars that financially reach the scrap heap after 10 years. Naim, Quad etc are all repairable for DECADES

Linn is now going down they build their own chips (it seems) and that would make the unobtainable totally unobtainable in the future.

The major problem is that Linn will NOT release schematics and dealers can't repair kit, they sent it back to Linn who won't repair kit that has reached it's redundant window.

If you can afford to spend a little more than the BK, the SVS SB1000 PRO is a stunning sub for the money, and best of all, you get the setup app normally reserved for the the higher end subs, where you just download the app, and then connect via bluetooth. You can even download the app prior to purchase, to try out the demo function and get a feel for the setup function. Lastly, their support is second to none, if you need help with setup, they are more than happy to give you advice to make it easier, and to ensure you are getting the best from your new purchase.

advertisement

Back