advertisement

Linn Karousel Bearing oil check?.

Does you lift/lower device allow adjustment?
I'm not familiar with your tonearm.
I had that problem with a 774 arm, with the arm fully "lifted" the stylus couldn't clear the edge of the record. I found it wasn't the height of the arm's pillar, but that the lift mech needed moving upwards to lift the arm higher.

Moving the arm's pillar up and down would have screwed the VTA.

This is the beauty of not supply basic instructions with arms!!, when I last bought a Rega arm for my other technics deck. You got all manner of pamplets explaining this that and the other just in case you decide to buy another cartridge. This Krane arm didn’t come with anything to explain how to raise the arm lift or what have you.

I had that problem with a 774 arm, with the arm fully "lifted" the stylus couldn't clear the edge of the record. I found it wasn't the height of the arm's pillar, but that the lift mech needed moving upwards to lift the arm higher.

Moving the arm's pillar up and down would have screwed the VTA.

To get optimum VTA on this krane Peter had to set it as low as it would go in relation to the collar that it sits in, it was actually sitting on the collar. See earlier video it won’t go any lower what so ever. If I want to get back to that VTA the arm just needs lowering till it stops.

See this video , arm is raised up with 180gm vinyl and it’s still in contact with the disc

Can you get the arm lift mech physically any higher? I don't mean by pulling the lift arm higher, but physically moving the whole lift mech upwards, which would lift the arm clear of the record without moving the arm up in the pillar.

Maybe query Peter again before lifting the lift mech.

Yeah email Peter with your question.

The other thing that could be done is a spacer could be fitted to the cartridge (then the arm height reset again)

Without seeing what’s there it’s really hard to suggest. But I’d suggest not touching it yourself.

Email Peter.

There are also aftermarket arm lifters that can be used (although again without seeing it’s hard to actually suggest).

Setting the VTA incorrectly just so you can use the arm lifter wouldn’t be good, no.

This is the beauty of not supply basic instructions with arms!!, when I last bought a Rega arm for my other technics deck. You got all manner of pamplets explaining this that and the other just in case you decide to buy another cartridge. This Krane arm didn’t come with anything to explain how to raise the arm lift or what have you.
Full instructions for installation including adjusting arm height for VTA adjustment are in the owners manual which you can download from the link provided in my previous post.

Nowhere in the instructions does it give any information on adjustment of the arm lift. I suggest you email the manufacturer, ie. Clearaudio and ask if it's possible.

It may not be and looking at various pics online it seems to be a fixed mechanism, I can't honestly see how it would be possibly though it may indeed be, the manufacturer will know.

Can you get the arm lift mech physically any higher? I don't mean by pulling the lift arm higher, but physically moving the whole lift mech upwards, which would lift the arm clear of the record without moving the arm up in the pillar.

I just moved it up a little as he suggested via email yesterday, once I receive one of those Perspex VTA
Checkers I’ll see how it sits at the current height. Probably would have been better asking if the arm lift can be altered there is an Allen socket near it but I’d be reluctant to touch it. I can always drop the arm back down again to fully down weee it was before you couldn’t see a gap at all

See this image of optimum VTA , note the gap between 1/2 was none existent to get proper VTA

I’m guessing there must be a lot of folk with Majik Turntable and Krane with Koil cart I wonder if there decks also have little or no space between 1 and 2

Peter said last night just lift the arm up 2/3mm via the Allen bolt as I say this arm isn’t one he carries as stock although he had a deck with one on for reference , all of the arms he stocks are of a considerable higher level I would expect

See this image of optimum VTA , note the gap between 1/2 was none existent to get proper VTA
If you can get the VTA correct it doesn't matter how low the arm pillar is set. It is perhaps little surprise that the arm is at its extreme adjustment when you consider that the arm is a Clearaudio product and the cartridge is an Audio Technica OC9 XML. They weren't designed to work together.

If you can get the VTA correct it doesn't matter how low the arm pillar is set. It is perhaps little surprise that the arm is at its extreme adjustment when you consider that the arm is a Clearaudio product and the cartridge is an Audio Technica OC9 XML. They weren't designed to work together.

I agree 100% with that once again I think you have hit the nail on the head the cart isn’t totally compatible with the arm!. Come to think of it if for example you used a shallow depth cart like a cheap AT you wouldn’t probably get VTA at all with a linn on that arm

I agree 100% with that once again I think you have hit the nail on the head the cart isn’t totally compatible with the arm!.
I'm sure it will work just fine but the bottom line is that Linn just went out and bought a budget tonearm and a budget MC cartridge from totally different manufacturers and nailed them together. Not only did they not manufacture either of these products, they didn't have anything to do with the design either.

Am I correct in thinking if you used a cheap AT95e with that arm you wouldn’t be able to lower the arm far enough to achieve a level aspect in comparison to the record itself

Am I correct in thinking if you used a cheap AT95e with that arm you wouldn’t be able to lower the arm far enough to achieve a level aspect in comparison to the record itself
No. The 95e and Koil are both Audio Technica cartridges so will be about the same height. The only cartridges I can think of that are shorter are Rega.

Linn-Krane-Tonearm-lft-989x556.jpg
That device with the Linn Krane logo is the arm lift. It appears the allen bolt shown in the picture attaches the lift device to the tonearm. Are there any other allen bolts on there? If not, raising the arm height for thicker records is your only solution.

Are there any other allen bolts on there?
There is almost always a way to adjust the lift height. On some arms (Linn) you adjust the height of the whole lift mechanism. On others (Rega) you adjust the height of the platform on the shaft. I'm going to bet this is the latter.

I’ve just lowered it to .75mm above the collar but it’s still touching my current 180gm record intro groove, but the main record not being as thick it’s missing. Peter had it at 0mm above the collar. I guess that will have to do.

I think that should be fine as it isn’t touching at the end of the record , Peter suggested to try 1mm but I’ve managed to get it to less anything lower and it won’t clear the record at all.

Linn-Krane-Tonearm-lft-989x556.jpg
That device with the Linn Krane logo is the arm lift. It appears the allen bolt shown in the picture attaches the lift device to the tonearm. Are there any other allen bolts on there? If not, raising the arm height for thicker records is your only solution.

There is nothing apart from that Allen bolt on the front of this arm so I’m guessing cueing is fixed on it

iu

Possible adjustment hole.
If it is adjustable then the lift 'box' would need to be removed from arm for access or remove arm from deck. Best check with a dealer.
However there is no information on this hole in either set up instructions LINN or Clearaudio or how to adjust the lift mechanism.
Other photos of angles of the arm show nothing else suitable.

advertisement

Back