advertisement

Linn Kairn Has Lost Its Right-hand Channel

Sonic Youth

Hey, first time poster here, but I've often spent time perusing threads.

Don't know if anyone can help me, my Linn Kairn isn't producing any output from the right-hand channels. I've experimented with 3 input devices and 2 sets of speakers, in different rooms, running off 2 power amps.

Is this a common fault and is there a quick fix. I hope it's not terminal?

Well, I think you need someone to have a poke about inside and check the power rails, then work through the circuit to see what is working and what is not. This might make more sense in the DIY discussion forum, depending on whether you feel able to undertake this sort of work yourself. Is it a quick fix? Well, at this point, hard to say, but my guess will be a power rail has died and it'll need a new regulator or something like that, which is a quick fix, once identified.

The kairn uses local stage regulation transistors. If all inputs are similarly affected it’s likely the output stage is the issue. Measure the voltages around the output stage and look for some dead transistors.

Thanks David, I think I'm capably of undertaking that and I think you're correct as the left-hand channel is perfect. But I fear Cesare is also correct, I need an expert to look at it.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom