advertisement

Linn Ikemi to Naim CDS3. Worthwhile?

Simply because there is little choice in the CD market & many have moved to HD based solutions. You can have the best of all worlds, what’s not to like?

Just as a starter, all of the following brands have players or transports easily available in the UK (list taken from Richer Sounds): Arcam, Audio Analogue, Audiolab, Cambridge Audio, Cyrus, Denon, Leak, Leema, Marantz, Musical Fidelity, PS Audio, Primare, Roksan, Rotel, Tangent, Technics, Unison Research.

No doubt you could double that list, by going to other dealers. So I’d argue hardware is pretty well served at the moment.

But so much of life is online now. I prefer my home music to detached from the internet, particularly as I’m sat at a bloody computer all day.

I’m not a complete Luddite. I happily stream on the tube and every day, and would be lost without it. I just want something to relax with at home, and for me that’s still playing a physical disc.

I own an Ikemi now (in my second system) and had a CDS3 in my main system (now replaced by an Isis). CDS3 is quite a bit better to my ears, but the Ikemi is no slouch.

Just as a starter, all of the following brands have players or transports easily available in the UK (list taken from Richer Sounds): Arcam, Audio Analogue, Audiolab, Cambridge Audio, Cyrus, Denon, Leak, Leema, Marantz, Musical Fidelity, PS Audio, Primare, Roksan, Rotel, Tangent, Technics, Unison Research.

No doubt you could double that list, by going to other dealers. So I’d argue hardware is pretty well served at the moment.

But so much of life is online now. I prefer my home music to detached from the internet, particularly as I’m sat at a bloody computer all day.

I’m not a complete Luddite. I happily stream on the tube and every day, and would be lost without it. I just want something to relax with at home, and for me that’s still playing a physical disc.
Fair point but those are generally mid level offerings & the CDS3/Ikemi are legacy players with no back up if they go wrong. I bought an ATC CDA2 about 2 years ago which replaced a CDX/XPS 252/XPS2, subsequently bought an Innuos Zen Mini & found I use it far more that the CD player. I still have hard copies of most music either on CD or Vinyl. I pretty much use it as a digital transport, listen to full albums but can access streaming services, smart mixes etc. I don't think it's necessarily changed the way I listen to music entirely.

You could, of course, go down the transport/Dac route & that leaves other options open. Personally I would stick with what you have until it goes wrong rather than spending money on another obsolete player.

Both are excellent. The Linn player has two major disadvantages: (1) the mechanics are crazy complicated and not easy to fix (2) the Brilliand SMPS, tends to blow up irreversibly when something goes wrong with it (we have a rescue kit for it though).

advertisement

Back