advertisement

Led Zeppelin Vinyl info.

wezzywest

pfm Member
I am looking for recommendations of well mastered releases of Led Zep albums on vinyl. The origs and early releases in near mint are beyond what i want to or could afford to pay.
Cheers.

The bog standard 1970s UK ‘K series’ Atlantic reissues are very decent, not as punchy as the ‘red plumb’ 1st pressings, but not bad by any means. The 1970s US pressings are very good too (the original RL cut of II is worth a fortune, but the others are fine too). I’d personally go for either of those unless you are shopping in the price range of originals or Classic Records audiophile reissues.

I have a selection of Zeppelin albums, Plums and 70’s 80’s reissues.

The 2014 remasters are very good - start there. They are not daft money.

edit: just checked, I have 3 of the 2014 remasters

45rpm Classic , but very , very expensive now
Paid $700 for 48 LPs now about £10,000
8852-ABD8-ADB9-4-E5-E-9108-38-EA9-A62-C21-A.jpg

Wezzywest - this is a very fair question. For me finding decent versions of Zeppelin LPs over the years has been a real frustration. For such a big band it staggered me that their records sounded so poor. To my ears the regular K series orange/green 70’s copies sounded really thin and below par.

I splashed out on a UK plum copy of II which was significantly better than the orange/green. And then was lucky to get most of the Classic series at the tail end of the run before they got expensive. They are very good but too costly.

Then the 2014 re-issues came out. They are absolutely brilliant and were regular money. Led Zep II sounds as good/better than my 2nd pressing plum. Led Zep III is better than my Classic. Presence is as good as my UK original. Physical Graffiti is the only one less good than the Classic but it’s still rated by many.

Unless you want to get into completist territory just go with the 2014 pressings. They’re very good.

Big Tabs - you did and you’re spot on. Wasn’t trying to steal your thunder, honest. Just an echo of your point.

I slightly resent years of listening to Zeppelin through the fog of pressings that don’t reflect how well recorded they were. And the expense of finding pressings that do.

The 2014s have put things right, at last.

Plenty of the early 70's reissues (green and orange label) out there for similar money to the 2014 reissues.

Sorry, didn't see that part of your post. In all honesty, if you're looking for a near mint copy of anything from the 70's it's a rather pointless exercise (unless someone bought 2 copies and left one on the shelf).

Sorry, didn't see that part of your post. In all honesty, if you're looking for a near mint copy of anything from the 70's it's a rather pointless exercise (unless someone bought 2 copies and left one on the shelf).

I might be the exception to the rule.

I've got mid-1970s LZ1 to LZ4 in both UK pressings and German. Rarely listened to, been on the shelf pretty much since day one. I may get around to selling them this year, I've been promising myself I will for the last few.

Discogs has their median values all floating around the £20 mark, so with that being £160 all told, I'd probably be hoping for something north of £180 for the whole lot.

Just caught up with the latest posts, thanks to all again. The 2014 releases are what I will fill the gaps in my collection with. Thanks again.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom