advertisement

Leak Stereo 20 valves

nonsense cheap....

Probably not - most Soviet valves sell for peanuts compared to their western equivalents.
My reading is that these are Soviet valves, so will be different pin-outs to the western equivalants, so at best, you'd need adapters.

Probably not - most Soviet valves sell for peanuts compared to their western equivalents.
My reading is that these are Soviet valves, so will be different pin-outs to the western equivalants, so at best, you'd need adapters.

Not true. Not all Soviet valves have different pinouts, and not the 6P14P which is a drop in EL84. Just check with Franks tubes for tube data on any particular valve.

Not only that but the 6P14P is very well regarded. And 1950s and 1960s production can be quite expensive with some Soviet valves.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
And they sound good too.
6P14P - 3000hr
6P14P-V - 1000hr
6P14P-EV - 5000hr
6P14P-ER - >10000hr
6P14P-K - 3000hr and tube is steady against vibration!!!! This tube is very rare.
Also tubes 6P14P-EV and 6P14P-EB It is one type tube.

Have ER types already,they are now about £90 ,like u say sound good:)

Very good valves and fully compatible with EL84s, though more robust. Just be aware there are different quality ratings e.g. 6P14P-EV, ER, EB etc, and at that point it gets very confusing as depending on the suffix life expectancy can be many multiples of the base item. The translation of the Russian letters is confusing too. The best are all but indestructible!

The market was flooded with them about a decade ago, but the war in Ukraine has obviously seriously impacted supply (most came from Ukrainian sellers). Thankfully I stockpiled a few sets at that time. I certainly recommend them. They are very good valves and I feel on balance probably preferable to a NOS set of Mullards. A rather different (crisper and very dynamic balance), but no worse. They are a very good match with my early TL12 Plus which run standard EL84s rather hard. The 6P14P-E* I use have a bit more headroom on their specs.

They are used valves, so trying to determine the original spec'/grade wouldn't seem to be of much use.

I did test mine from eBay on my valve tester and they were all within the EL84 specification.

I've not looked at the russian data sheet yet to figure out the valve's specs.

Edit: just spotted it is in English too.. :)

They are used valves, so trying to determine the original spec'/grade wouldn't seem to be of much use.

They have the test results printed below them. That's basically all you need to know. The expected test results for AVO testers are listed here. An EL84 should test at Ia=48, gm=11.3. All the data you need is online.

That's basically all you need to know.

????????????????????????????

Up thread the various grades/life ratings were dissected. As I pointed out - that is pointless as these are used valves.
Unless you have graphs for each property v. hours run, that is?

If any property remains stable until just before the valve dies, just as a for instance, the measurements would mean less than nothing, be of neither use nor ornament. (This sort of failure characteristic is reasonably common across lamps, especially discharge lamps, which are very, very similar to valves in how they work - just two electrodes with current running through gas between them.)

One property or another suddenly falling off a cliff at end of life is far from uncommon. Ever had big end bearings go on a car?

Ordered - thanks for the tip!
These arrived safely yesterday and I have just tested the 8 I bought. Tested on Hickok 539c with a known NOS Russian valve as reference - tests result for that one is 10500. The new arrivals' test results are between 10000 and 11500. Minimum new transconductance value is 5650.

advertisement

Back