advertisement

Leak ST 20 into BC1s

Should be fine/superb. The BC1 has very low power handling, a Leak will drive them far louder than they’d ever want to go.

They can but it’s right at the edge of what you need for moderate listening IMHO. Really, I think you need something a bit more powerful. Yes, I have tried it.
The best amp I had with the BC1 was the Rogers E40A.

They can but it’s right at the edge of what you need for moderate listening IMHO. Really, I think you need something a bit more powerful. Yes, I have tried it.

That depends on what you consider to be 'moderate'. The combination might not be ideal for Heavy Metal thrashing, but the BC1 wouldn't really be suitable for that anyway.

This was what I thought just might be the case. Luckily I am not wanting the BC1 to be Tannoy or JBL.

That depends on what you consider to be 'moderate'. The combination might not be ideal for Heavy Metal thrashing, but the BC1 wouldn't really be suitable for that anyway.
The ST20 does work well with LS3/5a. It is very capable but I thought I it was at its limit with BC1. If I were looking for a classic amp for BC1, I might look at Quad 50, either e or d. They’re transistor but transformer coupled and quite smooth.

With my SP1 - which I think is just a BC1 modified slightly - there's some debate about this, on this site. Some say they had success, others say they much prefer transistor amps. It's not a question of volume, it's a question of detail and image. I tried it with my Radford STA 25 and decided it was much better for me with a Krell KSA 50. I'm not sure why this question is divisive, but it is! You're going to have to suck it and see I guess.

With my SP1 - which I think is just a BC1 modified slightly - there's some debate about this, on this site. Some say they had success, others say they much prefer transistor amps. It's not a question of volume, it's a question of detail and image. I tried it with my Radford STA 25 and decided it was much better for me with a Krell KSA 50. I'm not sure why this question is divisive, but it is! You're going to have to suck it and see I guess.
I think it depends on the music played and probably the size of the room. The fact that it’s a debate implies it’s at the edge and while some people are OK, others aren’t. I know a few people who used them with Quad II and are perfectly happy.
I thought the SP1 needed a bit of power too despite its specs. It was quite an update from the BC1. The SP1 had higher sensitivity polypropylene drivers where most of the BC1 had bextrene drivers like the LS3/5a. The very last iteration of BC1 did have polypropylene drivers though - it was a very long production run.

I wasn’t aware that the final BC1s had polypropylene drivers.
Didn’t the SP1s have poly, and the BC1s Bextrene ones ?
The very last BC1 were polypropylene. The vast majority were bextrene. There were a few different bextrene versions with mostly the magnet differing.
You see the polypropylene ones occasionally on eBay, always with big serial numbers.
SP1 were polypropylene only.
’Speakers change through their production run - there were slightly different versions of SP1, I think at some point, they changed from being 12” square at the bottom to being 30cm square.

advertisement

Back