advertisement

Lawn dilemma

Even in the North East of Scotland I've found the need to cut the grass in winter has increased. I raise the cutting height from October onwards. It is on an as required basis, grass will continue to grow if it is warm enough.

Some people get enjoyment from looking at a lawn which looks like a bowling green. That is all well and good but just think about all the resources needed to achieve that. Synthetic fertiliser, selective weedkiller, iron sulphate, fungicide, wetting agent etc. Then think about all the fuel used to mow, scarifying and aerate.

I think you will find that the responsible thing to do is to let it do its own thing (apart from mowing). It will be much more rewarding to see a bee on the clover and realise you are doing your bit for the planet by minimising unnecessary inputs.

Some people get enjoyment from looking at a lawn which looks like a bowling green. That is all well and good but just think about all the resources needed to achieve that. Synthetic fertiliser, selective weedkiller, iron sulphate, fungicide, wetting agent etc. Then think about all the fuel used to mow, scarifying and aerate.

I think you will find that the responsible thing to do is to let it do its own thing (apart from mowing). It will be much more rewarding to see a bee on the clover and realise you are doing your bit for the planet by minimising unnecessary inputs.
Don't be so po-faced. It's a garden covering a few tens of square metres, what the owner chooses to do with it is utterly minuscule compared to the rest of the house. That's before you start on the car.

advertisement

Back