advertisement

Latest series of Later

I missed them, didn't turn the TV off - got some more Manics.

I reckon Nicky practices those moves in the mirror after he has finished hoovering.

God the Manics are now a truly abysmal band. Pub-rock at best.
And yes, Spandau Ballet doing the chat bit.....really?
I liked the RR & the FB track but not sure whether a whole album of that would work. I think they needed to stop trying quite so hard.
So for me, that was a pretty weak line up.

Dull, dull and more dull!

Never did get The Manics, but that was dire: they've pretty much become all the things they railed against when they first appeared.

Spandau fecking Ballet? Really?? Really???

I like the Manics for what they do, but I personally can't stand the music. The only good thing in a good way recently was Ben Howard, who was very much like a new John Martyn.

The best thing in a bad way was Future Islands. I've watched it several times with my daughter and we still can't stop laughing. We're working on the moves. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Still playing catch-up with the last few episodes. Life getting in the way of ... Was going to say enjoyment but not sure that will apply. The advantage of watching a recording is that I can just fast forward through the crap. Some episodes have Ben watched in under 10 minutes.

I like the Manics for what they do, but I personally can't stand the music. The only good thing in a good way recently was Ben Howard, who was very much like a new John Martyn.

The best thing in a bad way was Future Islands. I've watched it several times with my daughter and we still can't stop laughing. We're working on the moves. :D

LOL. Was that a bit of the David Brent dance in the middle!

Last edited by a moderator:
That Future Islands thing is fantastic - even his band look ashamed to be anywhere near the man!

Genius*.

*Shit.

Seems much as we lament the pimped, preened choreographed plastic face of pop, when a band come along with absolutely none of that shallow shite, we still feel obliged to take the piss instead of perhaps celebrating the dad dancing honesty...

Seems much as we lament the pimped, preened choreographed plastic face of pop, when a band come along with absolutely none of that shallow shite, we still feel obliged to take the piss instead of perhaps celebrating the dad dancing honesty...

Nah, the chest-beating furrowed-brow faux pain made me think of an X-Factor audition.

Jamie T was quite good.

Oh, and why are we subjected to UB40 in this day and age? Really? I hope we are not moving into a run of revival Top Of The Pops 80s bollocks. Looks that way now we've had Spandau Ballet & UB40. May be time to switch it off completely, because I'm not going to be watching that.

If that bloke with the weird moves felt the music that way, then fair enough. After all, David Byrne, Michael Stipe etc move to their music in non-usual ways.
Entirely agree about the UB40 tribute band & Spandau Ballet. Absolutely no need for any of that. Their agents must be bloomin good at their job to get them booked on the show.

There's a film coming out about Spandau isn't there? I would imagine getting on Later is pretty much the same mechanism as placing an ad for your product in a hifi mag.

If that bloke with the weird moves felt the music that way, then fair enough.

Samuel's weird dancing kind of reminds me of Joe Cocker's spasms. Cocker wasn't spastic, that's just what it took to get the music out of him, and I think it's the same way with Samuel, the dancing is compulsive.

There's a film coming out about Spandau isn't there? I would imagine getting on Later is pretty much the same mechanism as placing an ad for your product in a hifi mag.

Yeah there is and it had its premier at The Royal Albert Hall. I know the woman who directed it. She used to work with Julien Temple and wasn't a fan of Spandau Ballet in the '80s.

The documentary is apparently very good.

Jack

advertisement

Back