advertisement

Latest series of Later

neil

Wish I could re member
Just watched the second episode of the latest series of Later. Definitely better than episode 1 for my tastes and both episodes seem better than my recollections of the last series as a whole. May not be quite the lost cause I thought it was. Let's hope it continues to improve.

always been a fan of the later shows

...don't know about 'improving'...the shows always the same

the music is all subjective

personally though the first was ok...didn't think much of the acts on show 2

Not quite sure what was going on last week, but no-one was playing that well. Whether it was the sound in the studio, I don't know.
My daughter went to Ryan Adams with me on Friday and she also saw Alt J on Tuesday, and both were brilliant live, but their performances on Later were mediocre in comparison to say the least. Probably technical difficulties.
It was a great show. Could have done without the pointless Olivia Harrison bit, and the rather sad bloke with the ukelele, but otherwise it was good.
Jungle were great

The format is getting a bit tired, but hey, its live (at least I think its all live) music on the tv so even if it is a bit poo sometimes, Id rather it was kept going rather than shelving it.
Its the wheeling out of "Legends" that I tire of. I mean, Marian Faithful, really? its all a bit too sycophantic for me.
With a fairly eclectic mix of music, its always likely to be a bit hit/miss for personal tastes & I do wonder how some acts manage to get on the show, but I still keep watching the show.
Matt.

A "soul" diva, a singer-song writery type or duo, someone or other emulating "classic rock", a "legend" or "legends" from the '60s or '70s, a "world music" combo of some sort, someone desperate enough to allow Jules to hammer a piano at them, mebbe a tip of the hat to something which could have been made since 1989...

Still watch it in the hope of occasionally hearing something good.

Mani, I actually like Marianne Faithful's stuff but didn't think it was one of her better performances. Know what you mean about the legends bit. It almost seems as if the shows become a bit of an ego trip for Jools allowing him to play with said heroes. Sadly some of them would be better remembered how the were rather than for performances when they are past it. Ray Davies performance last series was dreadful. Such a shame.

I know there's money in the "pension tours" put on by so many of the artists of my youth, but having heard a few on the TV etc, they always just sound like cabaret /pastiche versions of themselves.
But it gives their fans access to hear them again & the audience should have the disposable £££ to indulge themselves, so why not, I guess.
Jools show just has to get the balance right between old fogey re-treads & new (but still talented) hopefuls.

I think the sound quality has taken a nose dive lately, compressed to death, surround piss poor and who was the skinny black girl doing French &Saunders level dance moves over minimalist beats-utter shite.

Do recall a couple of seasons back where one of the old fossils completely blew away everyone else on the show ... Guy by the name of Tom Jones. Wonder if he'll make a success of the singing thing?

Anyone ever manage to get tickets for this through the beeb website, I've tried for years now and have never managed. Suspect the tickets all go to friends and insiders of the show.

I think the sound quality has taken a nose dive lately, compressed to death, surround piss poor and who was the skinny black girl doing French &Saunders level dance moves over minimalist beats-utter shite.

This is generally true for music on TV, IMO: even though I take a digital feed from the Freeview box/TV into an input on the trusty disc spinner (or the Rega DAC) the sound is frequently pish! It's back to that "I can see there is a bass player but I can't hear what they are playing!" kinda thing.

Do they just assume that everyone plays TV sound through dinky little sound bars, rather than pretty much full range speakers?

A "soul" diva, a singer-song writery type or duo, someone or other emulating "classic rock", a "legend" or "legends" from the '60s or '70s, a "world music" combo of some sort, someone desperate enough to allow Jules to hammer a piano at them, mebbe a tip of the hat to something which could have been made since 1989...

Still watch it in the hope of occasionally hearing something good.

Sounds like a good mix to me, most of the "world music" combos blow away the rest, they seem to enjoy playing music, unlike the rest who take it too seriously.
I have discovered lots of bands by watching Jules, I agree he isn't the best host but who would be?

Pete

Sounds like a good mix to me, most of the "world music" combos blow away the rest, they seem to enjoy playing music, unlike the rest who take it too seriously.
I have discovered lots of bands by watching Jules, I agree he isn't the best host but who would be?

Pete

Oh yeah, I frequently find the "world" bods the best or most interesting: it's that the formula never seems to change and most of the "soul" diva types aren't fit to polish Aretha Franklin's mike stand and most of the "legends" (if they are actually legendary in the first place) are trading on past glories.

Jules always was a bit Marmite as a presenter, going back to the days of The Tube.

Anyone ever manage to get tickets for this through the beeb website, I've tried for years now and have never managed. Suspect the tickets all go to friends and insiders of the show.

I applied once, years ago, and got tickets, but unfortunately life got in the way and I couldn't make it in time.

Mick

As a slight tangent from the initial post what new artists that you really like did you first come across on Later?

For me it's The Eels (Souljacker), Seasick Steve, KT Tunstall and Imelda May.

KT, Soil and Pimp Sessions, The XX, Seasick Steve, lots I can't remember at the moment.

Pete

Manic Street Preachers.

Flags on the amps (FFS, how U2 even if they never actually did it) and Nicky Wire's moves - groan.

advertisement

Back