advertisement

Large Hadron Collider nearly ready

Technically Patrica Neal says "Gort, Klattu Barada Nicto" (definitely sounds more like Nicto or "nicktoe" than -tu) which is 25% more sinister 1950s alien weirdness.

[playing as I type]

However she pronounced it, Gort clearly understood what she said and didn't convert the earth into a large pile of radioactive slag!

Thank goodness Gort was not programmed by someone like you Mr Ribee! I'm guessing you can’t pass a poorly spelt and punctuated sign outside of a shop without correcting it!

ricdil, I'd stick to the BBC for coverage of this momentous event, the two documentaries shown last week were superb.

However she pronounced it, Gort clearly understood what she said and didn't convert the earth into a large pile of radioactive slag!

Thank goodness Gort was not programmed by someone like you Mr Ribee! I'm guessing you can’t pass a poorly spelt and punctuated sign outside of a shop without correcting it!

ricdil, I'd stick to the BBC for coverage of this momentous event, the two documentaries shown last week were superb.

Hey! It's important to do the geek stuff right. How else can we decide how categorise unwashed smelling rumpled T-shirt wearing spotty people correctly. The difference between (say) guitar hero metalhead who can field strip any automatic weapon in under 1 minute and a technowizard nerd who is running a website from the redundant processors in his kitchen appliances and can name all Star Trek episodes from the first line dialogue is not immediately visible. You need to get the nuance right to get clique acceptance!

brilliant bill E.Standard hoarding at London Bridge Station this afternoon

'' Big bang doesn't destroy earth'

One of the low points for me was this morning when Prof Heinz Wolf, live on SkyNews made his own LHC out of some plastic tubes, two coils of copper wire for effect, a fire extinguisher and two mince pies. Dermot went into analogy meltdown after the CO2 fog had cleared and the pair were covered in "collision debris", remarking how the currants were like the sub atomic particles and the elusive mixed peel might represent the Higgs Boson. Luckily I recorded it for posterity.

QUOTE]

Naa that was just a demonstration of the pre Rutherford "plum pudding" atomic model.

Simon

seems in amongst all that wiring ,they had a dodgy connection and the coolent (liquid helium)has leaked into the tunnel cos the magnets got hot. "2months to warm it all up , fix it then cool it down again .... oh well.

PR17.08a_full.jpg

bang of the wrong sort

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2008/PR17.08E.html

Hadron Collider relaunch delayed
The Large Hadron Collider could be switched back on in September - a year after it shut down due to a malfunction and several months later than expected.

Scientists had said they expected the £3.6bn ($5.4bn) machine to be repaired by November, but then pushed the date back to June, before the latest delay.

The LHC was built to smash protons together at huge speeds, recreating conditions moments after the Big Bang.

The fault occurred just nine days after it was turned on last September.

The European Organization for Nuclear Research (Cern) said: "The new schedule foresees first beams in the LHC at the end of September this year, with collisions following in late October."

Repairs

An investigation into the LHC's problems concluded the initial malfunction was caused by a faulty electrical connection between two of the accelerator's magnets.

Cern said that as a result, 53 magnet units would have to be removed from the LHC's tunnel to be cleaned or repaired.

Cern had also said new protection systems would be added as part of £14m repairs.

It blamed the shutdown on the failure of a single, badly soldered electrical connection in one of its super-cooled magnet sections.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/sci/tech/7880223.stm

Published: 2009/02/09 22:43:30 GMT

© BBC MMIX

advertisement

Back