advertisement

Kitchen wall clock hunt

Paul L

coffee lounge for me
Sorry, probably a boring thread but I have the mundane task of replacing the existing one which has finally given up. Branded RS something, radio controlled, previous owner left it here so it’s at least 10 years old and has been brilliant.

Looking for the same thing again I find Chinese radio controlled at £20 give or take either way and a Seiko for £80. The radio controlled accuracy appeals but I figured an accurate quartz will be sufficient so I looked to see if there is such a thing as high accuracy in the way a few watch brands do (Beluga, Seiko, Citizen as examples) but I haven’t spotted anything.

So, do you pay £20 and take your chance on Chinese tat or are there some genuinely better wall clocks that should last accurately for years?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just buy one you like that has a quart z movement, they are accurate to a few seconds a month and you can take up the slack when the clocks change. I've got one I bought 30 years ago, it needs a new battery every couple of years. Avoid the absolute cheapest in the likes of Poundland, spend a bit more. Maybe a whole tenner. Move on. Nothing to see here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...057.m570.l1313&_nkw=braun+wall+clock&_sacat=0
I have had this radio controlled kitchen clock for a few years and it has performed well, always accurate to the second because linked to the atomic clock. If it drifts off time it goes crazy for a few moments spinning around to catch up. I really bought it because I have a soft spot for the brand remembering the glory days when Dieter Rams was their designer.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have had 2 quartz kitchen clocks over the past 35 years - the first was faultless and lasted something like 20 years. The current one gains 10 minutes withn a weeek of changing it and gains slowly all the time after that - I know that it is always fast and I never need the exact time in the kitchen. Mostly, I use the second hand as a timer for 1-2-3 minute cooking times.

Good Afternoon All,

Bought a UBG (off eBay) radio controlled clock to stick out in the shed. It works perfectly in the kitchen but, unfortunately, the shed acts like a Faraday cage and shields the radio signal..........

Regards

Richard

I suspect they are all Chinese tat inside.....

Yes, I think that it`s luck of the draw how long a battery clock lasts and nothing to do with the original price,having bought several over the years.

Our current kitchen clock is an RS radio controlled device now at least fifteen years old and has been faultless but a newer version I bought for my parents only lasted about 3 years.

I suspect they are all Chinese tat inside.....

we have had one of these forever

Karlsson Flip Calendar Wall Clock Silver Mini Flip https://amzn.eu/d/iHyVBhG

I suspect you're right.

We've got a decorative 6' Swatch, batteries last well and it needs correcting twice a year. An eye watering £45 35 years ago but it's bright and colorful although getting a bit battered now.

We also have clocks on four appliances and two watches so is a kitchen clock even necessary?

Ours came from IKEA and has lasted 15 years so far. RC too. I’m sure they still have a good range

I got the big and little hands the wrong way round but I manage to get up every morning at different times

We have a mid 19th century oak cased chain fusee wall clock in the kitchen. It has a reassuring tick and keeps good time, but does need winding. I had the mechanism cleaned when a friend of the family gave it to us, and was told there was no wear on it whatsoever and it should be good for at least another 150 years. I have absolutely no idea how much one would cost (£200 - £300 maybe?) but it is a beautiful thing.

Loving the Leitch clock, and your resto.

I have a Russian Cold War Submarine clock on the wall in the kitchen, smells of oil and keeps good time.

3D7yaRF.jpg

advertisement

Back