advertisement

Kind of Blue

hacker

Delicious and nutritious
Possibly one of the greatest records ever made. Can anyone suggest more records of a similar style for a relative newbie to the world of jazz? The more frenetic music of Mingus, Coltrane et. al are still eluding me somewhat, but Kind of Blue really works for me. Just like Moanin' by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. Another favourite artist is Stan Getz... have you any suggestions in this vein?

Thanks,
Carl

Possibly one of the greatest records ever made. Can anyone suggest more records of a similar style for a relative newbie to the world of jazz? The more frenetic music of Mingus, Coltrane et. al are still eluding me somewhat, but Kind of Blue really works for me. Just like Moanin' by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers. Another favourite artist is Stan Getz... have you any suggestions in this vein?

Thanks,
Carl

Saxophone Colossus by Sonny Rollins
Waltz for Debbie by Bill Evans
Chet Baker's music is in a similar 'cool' vein to KOB.

Between KoB and Moanin' there is a massive amount of terrain...

ok try

Miles: Birth of the Cool.
Coltrane: Blue Trane
Jazz Messengers: Live at Cafe Bohemia
Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Collossus

And a bit leftfield but is well worth the ride: try Mingus: Blues and Roots

You've struck a particularly rich vein in Jazz's history with Moanin' and KoB.

Jim Hall : 'Concierto'
Chet Baker: 'Broken Wing'
Phil Robson: 'Screenwash'
Bill Evans : 'Trio 65'
John Coltrane : 'Crescent'
Modern Jazz Quartet : 'Lonely Woman'
Tommy Flanagan Trio :'Overseas'
Ruby Braff : 'Music for the still of the night'
Horace Silver : 'Song for my father'
Milt Jackson : 'London Bridge'
Milt Jackson : Jazz n Samba

You also might get to like any/all of these :

Miles Davis : In a silent way/ Nefertiti / ESP /Filles de kilimanjaro /Sorcerer

Roy

First stop should be Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderly, pretty much the same line up as KOB and at least as good IMO.

Tony.

Hi Hacker,
If you like it cooooolllll..... man :cool: :

Anything by Paul Desmond, but especially his Late Lament album. This actually has strings, and on a cursory listen could be a bit Mantovani...ish, but believe me it couldn't be further away. A beautiful album.

Paul Desmond with Brubeck on albums like. Time Out and Time Further Out.

Totally agree with previous recs for Chet Baker, MJQ/Milt Jackson.

Also check out Ray Charles' Jazz instrumental work on albums like 'The Great Ray Charles'. Let me know if you need more detail/Cat. Nos etc.

Mull

Somethin' Else by the Cannonball Adderley Quintet - which is actually a Miles quintet recording under another name for contractual reasons. Cannonball Adderley and Hank Jones are particularly brilliant on this record.

Where's sideshowbob's legendary jazz recommendations post? That will do ya. Still doing it for me after all these years.
Cheers
R

Try 'Milestones' which sounds like a jazzier version of KoB to my ears (though 'E.S.P'. is Miles at the cutting edge) and on Blue Note try 'Maiden Voyage' by Herbie Hancock. Loving Getz myself at the mo', the double 'Live At Montmartre' on Steeplechase has just arrived :).

d

Jim Hall : 'Concierto'
Chet Baker: 'Broken Wing'
Phil Robson: 'Screenwash'
Bill Evans : 'Trio 65'
John Coltrane : 'Crescent'
Modern Jazz Quartet : 'Lonely Woman'
Tommy Flanagan Trio :'Overseas'
Ruby Braff : 'Music for the still of the night'
Horace Silver : 'Songs for my father'
Milt Jackson : 'London Bridge'
Milt Jackson : Jazz n Samba

You also might get to like any/all of these :

Miles Davis : In a silent way/ Nefertiti / ESP /Filles de kilimanjaro /Sorcerer

Roy

Nice selection Norman (I mean Roy).

I don't think Miles Davis ever really did anything quite like Kind of Blue again. The closest in terms of style, though the presence of electric instruments makes a rather different feel, is in my view In a Silent Way. I would suggest the various collaborations with Gil Evans - Porgy and Bess, Sketches of Spain and Miles Ahead are also worth exploring (though these have a rather different, bigger band style).

Kind of Blue was one of the first things that hooked me into jazz and I spent a lot of time and money exploring Miles' discography in the hope of finding more of the same, I didn't. I did find a lot of other wonderful stuff in its place.

Bill Evans stuff is worth checking out, as his influence on the album is quite strong. I think the best stuff from his Village Vanguard concert from 1961. This was issued in part as two albums - Waltz for Debbie and Sunday at the Village Vanguard, however the complete set is now available and a must. The Paris Concert, editions one and two, is good as well.

I'd also suggest Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson. The disc only lasts a little over half an hour, but I've never felt short-changed by it.

If you like Getz, have you tried Jazz Samba?

regards, Tam

Carl- there's nothing to compare to KOB Imo; search you may, but you'll see what I mean in a year or two. I loathe 99.8% of jazz, but KOB is one of my fav records, in my top 10 of any genres. fwiw In A Silent Way, then Round About Midnight are my next fav jazz lps.. but good as they are, they'd not be in my top 50 methinks.

As the greatest single post in the history of forum life, the famous jazz thread deserves to live again:
Introduction to Jazz

**** me, that was posted to ZG 5 years ago, and it was already a couple of years old then. I've been on the forums far too long :)

I had a downer on Miles when I wrote that. I like him much more nowadays, but I still think KoB is the most over-rated record in the history of jazz. This is not to say I dislike it, but I don't think it's even the best record any of the musicians on it made, let alone the best record ever.

-- Ian

I love miles Davis Kind of Blue. I must admit i made a huge mistake after feeling like you do I gradualy over a period of time bought all of miles Davis albums hoping to find something just as magical. The mistake no matter how good everyone says someone is you can never like all they do. With out upsetting the die hard fans all i can say is i bought them all and sadly this is my choice out of what i bought what i actualy like.

For me only personel opinion here so do not throw arms in the air with horror dedicated fans please. The only album that comes near the mood for me of Kind of Blue... ok,

is Columbia compilation called Blue miles on Columbia Legacy records 499824-2.

Tracks

Round Midnight

Blues For Pablo

Blues is Green

The pan Piper

Drad Dog

Basin Street Blues

Circle

Sweet Pea.

For me i love my Miles Davis muted. I love it when he stands back from the microphone. so his Trumpet seems distant.

Other albums i have which you might concider

miles davis and Michel Legrand / Dingo/ Warner brothers masters 8122733182

Miles And Quincy Live at Montreux/ Warner brothers 8122732092

Both these albums are miles with big bands which i prefer

Miles Davis Ballads & Blues is worth a mention to with a big band

Blue note 72438 30633 23

As you can see i prefer Miles out of the free form jazz.

Whoops !!!!!!

Primo collection 2 cd set is quite nice

Relaxin With Miles Davis Quintet also quite good.

**** me, that was posted to ZG 5 years ago, and it was already a couple of years old then. I've been on the forums far too long :)
Ay, we were all much younger then; you still had some of your own teeth and hair.
Maybe time for a more Miles friendly version...

The hair was never mine. Inherited from my grandmother. She knitted it during the Boer War.

I can't be bothered to write something that long nowadays :)

-- Ian

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom