advertisement

Kef

worz

pfm Member
Hooked some kef crests 1speakers to my naim set up ,sound way better than I thought they should .Got me thinking about there other offerings any thoughts guys regards worz

I have some 104/2s for sale elsewhere! :)

Seriously, the reference speakers are great. Very balanced and musical. You just need to watch out for rot in the foam surrounds of the woofers and dried out ferrofluid in the tweeters.

My Kef Q35's could make certain tracks exhilarating, and I've been seeking that speed of response since.
They were, however, engineered to be bass light, to enable non-boomy close wall coupling, but ultimately this lack of bass became irritating, so that I've now got a more all round satisfying pair of Rega RS3's

There was mention of KEF on another thread recently. Some of the Reference speakers were very well thought of indeed. I sourced a system for a friend with Quad amps and KEF Reference speakers which sounded really good.

I had some 104.2s a few years back, good speaker.

When I was a teenager I had KEF Concords, so did Beggars Banquet in Kingston upon Thames!

More recently I thoroughly enjoyed KEF LS50s, a stunning little stand mount.

My Kef Q35's could make certain tracks exhilarating, and I've been seeking that speed of response since.
They were, however, engineered to be bass light, to enable non-boomy close wall coupling, but ultimately this lack of bass became irritating, so that I've now got a more all round satisfying pair of Rega RS3's

I had some KEF Q15s when I first started buying "proper" HIFI back in 1999, I loved them and never thought of them as bass shy, in fact I brought some Rega ELAs a short time later but kept the Q15s for more bass oriented music.

Both were later replaced by Linn Keilidhs.

Used to own the Reference 3.02 model from the last but one ref series. Very even handed and easy to listen to, lovely things.

i had a pair of kef reference 4.2 they were great speakers, and you really could turn the wick up, and a great price for such a big speaker with a hat full of drive units in each speaker, don't know why i sold them now !!!

That's my impression of these little kefs very tidy sound if a little laid back ,not a sound that grabs you straight away but is none fatiguing like some speakers I've owned,regards worz

Probably a good thing in many Naim systems. My system (72/hicap/250) generally worked better with smoother sounding speakers.

The thing with KEFs is "the bigger the better".
I've never really liked their smaller speakers but all of the Reference Series are excellent.

I remember trolling the hifi stores many years ago and hearing the 104 ab and 105 and always came away impressed ,strange really when I got back in to audio I've not really considered them

I have owned 105/3s' for a couple of years now, love 'em. I do need to modernise the cabinets though, rosewood has never done it for me, 2 undercoats and a top-coat or vinyl clad when i get round to it

Bloss

Those Cresta 1s and 2s are a very good pair of speakers and for the money they are ridiculously good, one of the all time bargains of all time.

I don't know why but they seem to have passed under the radar both at the time and now.

What are folks driving their 105s with?

Anything will drive 105/3's. They are efficient and also were the last speaker to use KEF's conjugate load matching (it was too expensive to keep doing according to a KEF engineer I spoke to) which means it presents a resistive 4 Ohm load with virtually no reactance.

Yes they are v good ,hifi world had them in there favorite speaker section .Looks like I might becoming a kef fan should be fun

advertisement

Back