advertisement

Kef LS50 v vintage LS3/5A

Yes.. my dad has ls50 and Stirling ls3/5a v2. They are very different but you can hear the similarities. Both render the midband for vocals in a very similar way with nice tonality and prescence.. the top end is pretty similar too but then stirlings are a more modern take on an old ls3/5, but the kefs pull away in the bass department. If I were to be blindfolded and with dads small rel sub in the equation there is surprisingly little in it..

There are a load of articles on google / Youtube reviewing LS50 vs LS50 meta vs LS3/5a.

It seems to be a subject with dozens of different conclusions. I haven't seen, let alone heard, a LS3/5a but the favourite seems to be the LS50 meta. It's evidently got a bit more bass and can be used in bigger rooms but to complicate matters, some people say the LS3/5a also sounds good in bigger room.

Yes.. my dad has ls50 and Stirling ls3/5a v2. They are very different but you can hear the similarities. Both render the midband for vocals in a very similar way with nice tonality and prescence.. the top end is pretty similar too but then stirlings are a more modern take on an old ls3/5, but the kefs pull away in the bass department. If I were to be blindfolded and with dads small rel sub in the equation there is surprisingly little in it..
That’s interesting, thank you.

Has anybody evaluated the above speakers against each other and if so can you report your findings.

Not directly against one another, but I know both (and the active version of the LS50) and I’d chose either in differing contexts. The LS3/5A is a very good sealed-box near-field monitor that is almost unique in being valve amp friendly in this genre. The LS50 is a very good modern rear-ported stand-mount that needs a very different amp and room placement and would likely be used in a different listening context. The LS3/5A also costs more than twice as much as a pair of LS50s (largely down to Chinese manufacture and scale).

Let your requirements lead you here, both are great speakers, but depending on context I’d put whatever is the current ProAc in the mix too, the D1 or whatever it is called. I’m sure there are many other candidates too; Spendor, Harbeth, Graham, PMC etc.

As ever context is everything.

I’d put whatever is the current ProAc in the mix too, the D1 or whatever it is called.

If you mean the DB1 Tony, yes I'd certainly put that into contention. I own both DB1s and (non-Meta) LS50s. They are voiced very differently. LS50s (with bungs out) need a lot more space btw; I can't really use them as ported speakers in a small room, so use them with the foam bungs in.

The other option might be the Falcon Q7.

I have all three LS50, LS50 meta and Rogers LS3/5a.
The meta has a more solid sound compared to the non meta. I often replace the meta with the Rogers just for the different sound which is warmer than the KEFs and unsurprisingly a little short of top end compared to the metas.
The metas are the winners spending 95% of the time on the stands.
They're powered by Temple Audio mono blocks.
BTW
The LS50 was replaced with metas as I damaged one of the cones, a slight dent that so offended my eyes. I had a go at teasing the dent out, big mistake as it's visually much worse as a result, but the damage hadn't in anyway affected the sound. Anyway good excuse for a worthwhile upgrade.

I own 1978 Chartwell's (since new) and a pair of Kef R100's (very near cousin to LS50).

I agree mostly with oldsandals and hifi-dog here but like to add that LS3/5a's has clearly audible distortion in the bass, inherent in the B110, even when crossed over to a sub.

I think one will get two pairs of LS50's for the price one pair of LS3/5a's? I know where I would put my money if I started from scratch...

Not directly against one another, but I know both (and the active version of the LS50) and I’d chose either in differing contexts. The LS3/5A is a very good sealed-box near-field monitor that is almost unique in being valve amp friendly in this genre. The LS50 is a very good modern rear-ported stand-mount that needs a very different amp and room placement and would likely be used in a different listening context. The LS3/5A also costs more than twice as much as a pair of LS50s (largely down to Chinese manufacture and scale).

Let your requirements lead you here, both are great speakers, but depending on context I’d put whatever is the current ProAc in the mix too, the D1 or whatever it is called. I’m sure there are many other candidates too; Spendor, Harbeth, Graham, PMC etc.

As ever context is everything.
I was a bit surprised when I returned to the UK and listened to my Naim 32.5/Hicap/250 set up with a pair of SBLs on the end in the dining room. The sound totally trashed the Sonos streamer / Dali Oberon1 set up I got in Spain and to keep it fair I was listening to Radio stations which is the most level playing field I could muster. I was about 2.5 meters away from both systems when listening.

I am now a bit unsettled. Should I replace the Sonos and Dali with a good quality Naim Streamer with something like a KEF LS50 meta on the end. I have to use bookshelf speakers in Spain.

I was a bit surprised when I returned to the UK and listened to my Naim 32.5/Hicap/250 set up with a pair of SBLs on the end in the dining room. The sound totally trashed the Sonos streamer / Dali Oberon1 set up I got in Spain and to keep it fair I was listening to Radio stations which is the most level playing field I could muster. I was about 2.5 meters away from both systems when listening.

I am now a bit unsettled. Should I replace the Sonos and Dali with a good quality Naim Streamer with something like a KEF LS50 meta on the end. I have to use bookshelf speakers in Spain.

Larger speaker will generally produce more low-end extension and less distortion when listening from a distance.

How much can you spend?
Are you able to add a wireless subwoofer?

I own 1978 Chartwell's (since new) and a pair of Kef R100's (very near cousin to LS50).

I agree mostly with oldsandals and hifi-dog here but like to add that LS3/5a's has clearly audible distortion in the bass, inherent in the B110, even when crossed over to a sub.

I think one will get two pairs of LS50's for the price one pair of LS3/5a's? I know where I would put my money if I started from scratch...
You could get the metas and the matching kef sub for less I think

Larger speaker will generally produce more low-end extension and less distortion when listening from a distance.

How much can you spend?
Are you able to add a wireless subwoofer?

Yes I know the bigger speakers produce more low end extension but I can't really put say a pair of Briks on a sideboard without the wife going ballistic.

My problem is that I have two good Naim systems in my house but the wife who listens to it on a regular basis thinks it is absolutely fine. It's probably me just being picky but then all audiophiles are picky. I have suggested replacing the Dalis with a pair of KEF LS50 metas but the wife says no.

So it's either a case of happy wife, happy life or a lesser system.

Mick P: begin looking for a set of speakers that both look similar to the Dalis and sound better = better Dalis?

Yes I know the bigger speakers produce more low end extension but I can't really put say a pair of Briks on a sideboard without the wife going ballistic.

My problem is that I have two good Naim systems in my house but the wife who listens to it on a regular basis thinks it is absolutely fine. It's probably me just being picky but then all audiophiles are picky. I have suggested replacing the Dalis with a pair of KEF LS50 metas but the wife says no.

I have suggested replacing the Dalis with a pair of KEF LS50 metas but the wife says no.
Just remember that it's far easier to obtain forgiveness than permission!

I will add that the LS50 may struggle close to the wall, mine are 3ft into the room and I still have sock in port hole.

I often replace the meta with the Rogers just for the different sound which is warmer than the KEFs and unsurprisingly a little short of top end compared to the metas.
Being short of top end isn't an accusation I expected to be levellled at the LS3/5A which, by design, is voiced with a hotter-than-neutral top end. Based purely on measurements, and not having heard the LS50 Meta, I'd expect the LS3/5A to sound crisper and more accentuated in the top two octaves of the audible band.

Given Mick is so obviously domestically compromised in what he is “allowed” I’d look at the biggest pair of Genelecs or equivalent active monitors I could get away with, e.g. these 8030s (you need two). Not the prettiest things, but they perform exceptionally well for their price and can be setup to work in compromised locations due to switchable location options (half-space, quarter-space etc).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

The better Dalis would be floor standers and we want/need bookshelf ones. The KEFs are of an acceptable size
I will add that the LS50 may struggle close to the wall, mine are 3ft into the room and I still have sock in port hole.

Yes this adds to my misery. I think I will admit defeat on this one and stay with the Dalis.

advertisement

Back