advertisement

Kairn or Exotik

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
In the world of older Linn Pre amps, which is considered superior; a Slimline PS Kairn Phono or an Exotik Phono with Dynamik PS? Or is there not much in it?

Phono performance is really important and I have been very, very impressed with the Kairn in this regard, but was wondering if it might be worth trying an Exotik with Dynamik PS.

Cheers

I moved from slimline smps Kairn to the earliest version of the Exotik on the latter's initial release and felt it was a big step up.
However, there are those that prefer the LK box sound to the newer electronics so it'd be best to try for yourself. Certainly the Kairn is no slouch though.

Mick

PS I guess you could buy, try and then sell on if it doesn't suit.

+1

I actually really like the kairn, in part due to its styling. Both are great, ultimately the Exotik is better, certainly with a dynamik but they are different. It sounds like a cliche but the kairn is warmer and smoother whilst the exotik is more accurate/transparent.

I bought my Exotik with the non-dynamik supply and it was OK, but since I had the Dynamik fitted it is a very good pre-amp.

Did you end up with an Exotik?
I have both (Slimline Kairn Phono and Dynamik Exotik Phono) at home right now as I got a great deal on the Exotik here. . I think the Exotik pips it, although there's not much in it. It's possibly a less good match with the Sorcerors, as it is a little sparklier, but I think power amp, speaker and DAC upgrades beckon, so I can live with it.

I will do a full phono A/B on headphones before I finally let go of the Kairn, but that's in the klassifieds right now.

Cheers for the advice. Now to seek out a 2250 and a Chord DAC........

I have both (Slimline Kairn Phono and Dynamik Exotik Phono) at home right now as I got a great deal on the Exotik here. . I think the Exotik pips it, although there's not much in it. It's possibly a less good match with the Sorcerors, as it is a little sparklier, but I think power amp, speaker and DAC upgrades beckon, so I can live with it.

I will do a full phono A/B on headphones before I finally let go of the Kairn, but that's in the klassifieds right now.

Cheers for the advice. Now to seek out a 2250 and a Chord DAC........

...make sure the 2250 has a Dynamik PSU! :cool:

Mick

...make sure the 2250 has a Dynamik PSU! :cool:

Mick
Will do. Having now done a thorough A/B on the MC phono stages on both these pre-amps using a few reference discs (Deguello, Gaucho, Excitable Boy) through HD600's, the Exotik is clearly better.

Will do. Having now done a thorough A/B on the MC phono stages on both these pre-amps using a few reference discs (Deguello, Gaucho, Excitable Boy) through HD600's, the Exotik is clearly better.
Good to know; I have a very late model Linto (one of the last made, going by SN) as a phono pre, and was wondering if I could simplify/consolidate by going to either a Kairn MC or an Exotic/Akurate MC pre.

It'll be a fair step down from a Linto to either, the Linto is a very special bit of kit. The phono sections in the kairn and Exotik are very good but they're no Linto!

It'll be a fair step down from a Linto to either, the Linto is a very special bit of kit. The phono sections in the kairn and Exotik are very good but they're no Linto!
That's what I was afraid of. I suppose if I get, say an Exotik or Akurate with the phono stage included I can test it out myself; just trying to reduce the boxes and extra cables.

If you really must have the box count reduced to 2 instead of 3
and you have an emphasis on listening to a good quality deck,

then I am pretty sure you would get considerably further by choosing an excellent bigger integrated and a good phono stage,

than a pre power combi with a seriously compromised phonostage.

The Linn offers discussed are very good no doubt, but can only handle what you feed them with.
In case that is less than from a Linto, I would feel the pre/ power combi being a bit of a waste, honestly.

A good integrated amp and Linto would be better then +
as good as the Linto is,,,there is plenty of air above it left, still too.

Well, I'd like to maintain 5.1 capabilities for cinema, hence the attraction of the Exotic or first version of the Akurate Pre. It's just with streamer/hdd, blu ray player, headphone amp/dac, pre and power amps, turntable, phono pre and phono power supply, things get crowded.

I am well aware that the sky is the limit when it comes to audio, but I need things to make sense financially and in the context of my domestic space/usage.

Well yes,,,you have to know if you can step back from the Linto SQ,
I for sure could not..

I'd likely rather try to tight-pack units I do not need immediate access to
into a door closed rack, so that optically there is rather the impression you had less units.
power amp, phono ps , streamer and hdd can surely be stored away invisably.

Well, I'd like to maintain 5.1 capabilities for cinema, hence the attraction of the Exotic or first version of the Akurate Pre. It's just with streamer/hdd, blu ray player, headphone amp/dac, pre and power amps, turntable, phono pre and phono power supply, things get crowded.

I am well aware that the sky is the limit when it comes to audio, but I need things to make sense financially and in the context of my domestic space/usage.

Yes, I totally get that, I'm at the limit myself.

advertisement

Back