advertisement

Jazz Reissues (Individual and short runs)

I suspect Michael opened the door and others followed! Not sure Ken’s work, but I really like Michael’s various pairs.
I knew it - he confirms here (43 mins) that the glasses are a 'tribute' :) This is a good interview with Chad, not much new but some snippets

I knew it - he confirms here (43 mins) that the glasses are a 'tribute' :) This is a good interview with Chad, not much new but some snippets

I’m actually just watching this now. The glasses in play today look like a Jon Darko tribute!

This arrived today - going on the turntable any moment now....

Thelonious Monk ‎– Brilliant Corners​

Label:
Craft Recordings ‎– CR00502, Riverside Records ‎– CR00502
Series:Small Batch
Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Numbered, Reissue, Mono, 180g
Box Set
Released: 08 Sep 2023
Genre:Jazz
Style:Hard Bop

Absolutely no criticism of this record intended, but when I first read about it a few weeks ago, I looked Bernie Grundman up and discovered he is now aged 80. Is that a sensible age at which to be remastering flagship recordings? Or do we assume that he is really just a figurehead and ‘remastered by Bernie Grundman’ really means ‘Bernie was somewhere in the vicinity while someone he trusts did the job’?

Absolutely no criticism of this record intended, but when I first read about it a few weeks ago, I looked Bernie Grundman up and discovered he is now aged 80. Is that a sensible age at which to be remastering flagship recordings? Or do we assume that he is really just a figurehead and ‘remastered by Bernie Grundman’ really means ‘Bernie was somewhere in the vicinity while someone he trusts did the job’?
Matches my 70 year old ears perfectly :). Good point though. Kevin Gray is 69, no spring chicken either.

Absolutely no criticism of this record intended, but when I first read about it a few weeks ago, I looked Bernie Grundman up and discovered he is now aged 80. Is that a sensible age at which to be remastering flagship recordings?

This level of high-end audiophile mastering really is a less is more thing. They are in reality little more than flat master tape copies done through the best kit audiophile money can buy, i.e. Grundman, Hoffman, Gray etc are doing very little if anything EQ or compression-wise, just bringing the kit, care and experience. This being why some of us feel they can on occasion lose the artistic intent of say an original RVG cut where I’d argue the horns being right in your face was a very deliberate artistic decision.

As I’ve said before I suspect RVG deliberately recorded a bit bright knowing he’d cut treble on the cut, i.e. a kind of DIY noise reduction. I think this is why some Japanese pressings, Tone Poets etc can sound a bit accentuated in the drum kit metalwork to my ears. I don’t think it is deaf mastering engineers, just maybe a misunderstanding of original artistic intent.

I also think the engineers I mention are all way too good to only trust their ears, as you say it will be a multi-person team and in reality the buck likely stops with the recording’s rights owner. The problem comes with clearly deaf rock stars who do usually make a horrific mess remastering their back catalogue.

PS Given Kevin Gray seems able to knock out about 10 albums a week I suspect it is a pretty simple process, albeit one done at a very high kit and QC level.

My local indie shop owner knows a sucker when he sees one and emailed the list of Craft Jazz Essentials releases from the above to me on Thursday, along with another batch coming out on the 24th Nov. I went for the Monk from this one and Steamin’ with the Miles Quintet from the second.

One thing I don’t get - I’ve already got the Sun Ra, with all the information listed here (Craft, 60th anniversary, Kevin Gray, 180gm, RTI etc. etc.) on the hype sticker - only I bought it twelve months ago. It this a repress?

There seems to be very little information on this series. I've looked for a couple of them on Discogs, but they don't seem to be listed as individual releases yet.

I bought a couple anyway. Steamin' is on at the moment and the overall sound quality is good but my individual copy has quite a lot of noise.

There doesn't seem to by any hype stickers or anything else to mark out issues in this series either.

This level of high-end audiophile mastering really is a less is more thing. They are in reality little more than flat master tape copies done through the best kit audiophile money can buy, i.e. Grundman, Hoffman, Gray etc are doing very little if anything EQ or compression-wise, just bringing the kit, care and experience. This being why some of us feel they can on occasion lose the artistic intent of say an original RVG cut where I’d argue the horns being right in your face was a very deliberate artistic decision.

As I’ve said before I suspect RVG deliberately recorded a bit bright knowing he’d cut treble on the cut, i.e. a kind of DIY noise reduction. I think this is why some Japanese pressings, Tone Poets etc can sound a bit accentuated in the drum kit metalwork to my ears. I don’t think it is deaf mastering engineers, just maybe a misunderstanding of original artistic intent.

I also think the engineers I mention are all way too good to only trust their ears, as you say it will be a multi-person team and in reality the buck likely stops with the recording’s rights owner. The problem comes with clearly deaf rock stars who do usually make a horrific mess remastering their back catalogue.

PS Given Kevin Gray seems able to knock out about 10 albums a week I suspect it is a pretty simple process, albeit one done at a very high kit and QC level.
Agree with most of that but I'd be surprised if the mastering chain wasn't selected to bring a little colour, however subtle, and if there was absolutely no EQ involved.

I'd also add that I'd trust a pair of trained ears with sixty years of critical listening behind them over a pair of fresh ears, even if they can hear 20k.

Agree with most of that but I'd be surprised if the mastering chain wasn't selected to bring a little colour, however subtle, and if there was absolutely no EQ involved.

To my ears everything about the Tone Poets sounds like ‘less’ mastering decisions. As I’ve mentioned before I’m pretty much convinced RVG recorded a bit bright with the intention of cutting top end at the mastering stage. There is also clearly some compression/limiting on original RVG cuts which to my ears is applied with considerable understanding of the music. A good RVG cut (and I’ve not heard a bad one) sounds alive, punchy yet remarkably coherent and balanced. Everything in its place. In comparison I find the Tone Poets a bit too bright and also so dynamic some musical coherence is lost, e.g. I find myself drawn to level differences between instruments that start to sound like recording or even playing mistakes. I also feel many TPs are a bit overdone in the bass. Again, I bet that is just what is on the tape.

I’d love to sit in on a Kevin Gray mastering session and see exactly what he does, but my guess is he does his level best to cut exactly what is on the tape with the absolute minimal intervention, and does it exceptionally well. My only criticism is I feel some of the initial artistic intent is lost. They are still incredibly good though.

PS I do realise I’m being incredibly picky here, one can’t really knock them, especially given what collecting originals would cost these days!

To my ears everything about the Tone Poets sounds like ‘less’ mastering decisions. As I’ve mentioned before I’m pretty much convinced RVG recorded a bit bright with the intention of cutting top end at the mastering stage. There is also clearly some compression/limiting on original RVG cuts which to my ears is applied with considerable understanding of the music. A good RVG cut (and I’ve not heard a bad one) sounds alive, punchy yet remarkably coherent and balanced. Everything in its place. In comparison I find the Tone Poets a bit too bright and also so dynamic some musical coherence is lost, e.g. I find myself drawn to level differences between instruments that start to sound like recording or even playing mistakes. I also feel many TPs are a bit overdone in the bass. Again, I bet that is just what is on the tape.
As I mentioned once before, I was lucky enough to visit a member with an outstanding system earlier in the year and compare my RVG stamped copy of Ornette Coleman At The Golden Circle with his Tone Poet copy. Not an RVG recording but interesting to compare mastering nonetheless.

They sounded VERY different. As you'd expect the RVG copy was a lot more immediate and in your face. I actually thought the Tone Poet did a great job of replicating the sound of a live performance - there was a greater realism to the instruments, in particular the double bass. Very different presentations but I could happily live with either - at the end of the day it feels more like an aesthetic preference than one being 'better' than the other.

We also listened to a Toshiba pressing which was somewhere in the middle in terms of dynamic range but with a far murkier presentation of the double bass - which surprised me. That's the kind of thing that makes me think there is some subtle EQ being done with the Tone Poets to best present what's on the tape.

They sounded VERY different. As you'd expect the RVG copy was a lot more immediate and in your face. I actually thought the Tone Poet did a great job of replicating the sound of a live performance - there was a greater realism to the instruments, in particular the double bass. Very different presentations but I could happily live with either - at the end of the day it feels more like an aesthetic preference than one being 'better' than the other.

We also listened to a Toshiba pressing which was somewhere in the middle in terms of dynamic range but with a far murkier presentation of the double bass - which surprised me. That's the kind of thing that makes me think there is some subtle EQ being done with the Tone Poets to best present what's on the tape.

I’ve done the Golden Circle, but mono original of Vol 2 vs Tone Poet box. Too hard to tell as the mono/stereo thing is such a big deal, though there is certainly something remarkably alive and attacking about the original.

I suspect your comment on the Toshiba vs. TP may be a tape generation thing. I’d be surprised if a genuine 1st generation tape made it out to Japan regardless of just how good so many Japanese Blue Notes sound.

I’m also not clear exactly what the TPs are cut from, e.g. are they all from the original two-track vinyl cut master (as used on the US 1st press), or are some remixed from the three-track masters? I suspect it is the former, though certainly a lot of other music of the era was lost and had to be remixed from the multitrack (e.g. a lot Miles on Columbia). A fair bit of Coltrane too.

The one I should really buy just as a test case and then sell on is Somethin’ Else as I’ve got a lovely RVG-stamped early Liberty, a Japanese Toshiba, and a Japanese DAM audio club 45 of Autumn Leaves. They are all wonderful in their own way. The RVG cut just sounds so ‘right’, everything in its place, coherent and punchy. The DAM is incredible in a modern audiophile way, just so open and clear though slightly bright, the Tosh in the middle ground. All absolutely murder the DeAgostini issue from a few years back, though it would be interesting to compare the Kevin Gray classic.

I think the only Tone Poet issue I have an RVG cut for is Shorter’s All Seeing Eye, a VG+ ‘70s blue label copy, but it has the stamp. I don’t have the TP though!

Jealous of your RVG Autumn Leaves Tony!

This short video might already have been posted here somewhere but Bernie briefly mentioned the custom EQs he uses. A quick Google suggests they may be based on vintage Urei units. I'm reminded as well how some engineers will run the signal through gear completely flat because they like what the transformers do to the sound or whatever.

Reading again your comments about compression, I agree - used correctly they can just be a tool to 'glue' the music together so nothing is jumping out and detracting from the music. Cohesiveness is a great way to describe that.

The idea that the engineers just spool up the tape and press go on the lathe plays well to an audiophile market but I think it underplays the skill of engineers like Bernie and Kevin.

Jealous of your RVG Autumn Leaves Tony!

I really lucked-out with that Somethin’ Else. It was one of the very first jazz albums I bought, immediately after buying the mid-80s £1.99 ‘A Sample Of Blue Notes’ and realising I needed to buy everything on it. I got it from a classical shop in Liverpool city centre (Circle for those who knew it) in exchange for a few classical albums I’d hoovered off market stalls for 50p a pop. It was before Blue Note prices went crazy, and long before I’d figured out the significance of the RVG stamps both sides in the run-off. It is this pressing (Discogs) and it is in amazing condition, just the slightest hint of ring-wear, vinyl NM without a mark on it. Obviously owned by a careful classical buyer who likely didn’t like it!

The DAM 12” is an interesting record (Discogs). I suspect this one is a totally flat master transfer. It is in many ways incredible.

My only criticism is I feel some of the initial artistic intent is lost.

Not quite sure who that would be - I doubt whether the musicians would have much say at the mastering/cutting stage. So I wonder whether the final mastering decisions would be down to RVG or Alfred Lion? The BN book from several years ago indicates that the BN sound was overseen by Alfred Lion - the producer. Apparently he wanted his records to sound more like what he heard in the clubs. Reports from those that have heard BN master tapes (Joe Harley, Kevin Gray, DGMono) are consistent in their view that what is on the tape does not sound like an RVG vinyl cut. Pays your money and takes your choice.

If DGMono sees this, maybe he could elucidate a bit more.

Reports from those that have heard BN master tapes (Joe Harley, Kevin Gray, DGMono) are consistent in their view that what is on the tape does not sound like an RVG vinyl cut. Pays your money and takes your choice.

Absolutely This is very clear and obvious to me at even this distance.

I think my mindset/experience needs explaining a little. I have seen a fair few indie type projects from the recording phase through the cut and to the vinyl end product. My view is the master tape is an intermediate step and the reason one pays a great mastering engineer is to do the final EQ, limiting and compression to make the item sound as good as it possibly can for release. It isn’t just a matter of sticking it onto vinyl, it is an additional artistic step that can make it work better. RVG, like George ‘Porky’ Peckham, Robert Ludwig and many others brought something quite special to their work. Something that keeps many people paying top dollar for 1st pressings etc.

advertisement

Back