advertisement

It just needs to be done - best stoner albums!

amazing waht we liked to listen to...reading the above!

Anyway for various 'flavours' I recall
Tangerine Dream, Gong, Incredible String Band, Bonzo Dog, Peter Gabriel, Floyd's UmmaGumma (unbearable when not flying), CSNY, Hendix, It's a beautiful day and Van Morrison.

One specific track stands out. Incredible String Band, Wee Tam and the Big Huge, 'Air'. No details but some cactus derivative, a sunny beach in Wales, the most beautiful girl I ever did see and this track, not easily forgotten.

One of my all time favourite bands, lucky enough to see them a few times.

Butthole Surfers

many cracking albums - I recommend >>> Rembrandt Pussyhorse, Locust Abortion Technician, Hairway To Steven and Electriclarryland - a spin-off band Jack Officers - 'Digital Dump' is electro nuts.

I saw them in Brixton 1988, and found a bit of the 'perfomance.'
Not for the faint-hearted/easily shocked...

Look for this > youtube uk

Butthole Surfers Live at Brixton Academy UK 88/Bremen Germany 87

I saw the 'Surfers at Reading in 89 (part of a damn good lineup of bands) they played a great set, coming out, smashing their instruments and after letting the crowd have an extended 'WTF moment' played a storming set. Apart from the smashing, my abiding memories are the leg kicks during 'Sweat Loaf' and Gibby's vocal effects,

yep, spacemen3, the orb - 39 minute cd version of blue room especially... funnily enough this sounded better on my technics system as it blended into the background more... those were the days... :)

I think you need to specify which drug when you say "stoner "

MDMA/ketamine/coke for House etc.
Acid for ..... ?
Dope for..... ?

We need details but remember, the internet lives on forever and forgets nothing.:rolleyes:

KLF - Chillout (one of my favorite albums ever...)
KLF - Space
LTG Buken - Logical Progression
Pink Floyd - Meddle
DJ Shadow - Private Press (first time I heard this album was over a few herbs at a mates on a pretty descent stereo and it just sounded superb, especially Blood On The Motorway)

I saw the 'Surfers at Reading in 89 (part of a damn good lineup of bands) they played a great set, coming out, smashing their instruments and after letting the crowd have an extended 'WTF moment' played a storming set. Apart from the smashing, my abiding memories are the leg kicks during 'Sweat Loaf' and Gibby's vocal effects,

Did Gibby have the wooden clothes pegs on his hair? Did the strange woman (naked I think?) turn up on stage dancing like a dervish? Did they have the 'penis operation' film playing as a backdrop? I think I remember these things happening...

Obvious choice... Spacemen 3 – Taking drugs to make music to take drugs to

78374ac2c64ef4fb1dedc095b079c9c2.952x1000x1.jpg

"KLF - Chillout"

eeee, never heard of this either. i see it came out around 1990 which puts it well after my 'substance' days. but if it had been around 20 years earlier, it would have knocked quite a few albums off their perch :)

Did Gibby have the wooden clothes pegs on his hair? Did the strange woman (naked I think?) turn up on stage dancing like a dervish? Did they have the 'penis operation' film playing as a backdrop? I think I remember these things happening...

They'd gone from being that band that was really into the whole head-f*** thing into that heavy acid rock phase of 'Hairway to Steven'. Kathleen Lynch was gone by then but remains immortalised on the cover of 'Double Live Bootleg'.

Here's a gratuitous link to a great track by them

They'd gone from being that band that was really into the whole head-f*** thing into that heavy acid rock phase of 'Hairway to Steven'. Kathleen Lynch was gone by then but remains immortalised on the cover of 'Double Live Bootleg'.

Here's a gratuitous link to a great track by them

I had that Double Live Bootleg on c.d. - sold it last year.

advertisement

Back