advertisement

Is this the best Telecaster sound?

wilko-johnson-corbis-530-85.jpg

Wilko Johnson

Cos it doesn't have to be clever, technical or just plain noodly to aurally excite.

wilko.jpg

The Jerry Donahue solo on Sloth (Live Convention) is the one to beat for me - surprising, melodic, unmistakeably the man and with the most hairs-on-the-back-of-the-neck-raising final note.

No further submissions m'lud...

Back to the original post, there is talk on various guitar forums that the guitar used was in fact a Strat given to Billy by Jimi Hendrix.

Led Zep 1, the sound of Pagey's Telecaster on this was awesome

+1, great tone.

At a HUGE tangent, I tried a Fender Road Worn Jazz Bass today. I've owned quite a few J's in my time but this one had it all. Great tone, playability and vibe. Not too sure about the RW finnish but liked the nitro rather than poly. My Musicman Stingray will be up for sale soon. The Road Worn J has won me over.:)

Page himself stated that 75% of his sound came from the custom Tone Bender box. So there was a Tele involved, but what came out wasn't strictly a "Tele sound". Great tone, though, fo' sho'.

I've got a couple of Ryan Adams albums and Whiskeytown albums where the Tele sound is just peaking to where I like it - but obviously it's personal taste.

Since I got my Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster Relic I had my Cornell amp re-valved with 6L6 tubes to get that maximum treble saturation - and that's my perfect Tele sound; when the extreme treble breaks up and saturates whilst everything beneath is still crystal clear and just beginning to crunch. I played with my old band late last year and it wasn't the sound they were after at all and I had to switch things around, but then what they were doing was not my bag either. They still think it's 1982.

I've retired my Strats now and only go to my Nocaster and my Gibson Les Paul 2009 '58 Historic which is the result of trying dozens of the damn things for probably more than two years to find the right one. I have it now.

When the sound of a Tele reaches those real heights with a cooking Fender tweed, it's like angels singing (okay, it's not a gentle thing having an ice-pick down your earhole, but you know what I mean). You can keep the Les Paul when that happens (like the Roy Buchanan clip at 2.13).

Here's mine.
Maybe not the best example of a stand-out performance, but the Tele sound with that extreme treble crunch is there. There is nothing else like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's mine.
Maybe not the best example of a stand-out performance, but the Tele sound with that extreme treble crunch is there. There is nothing else like it.

Is that Ed "eDFROMOHIO" Crawford, formerly of fIREHOSE, on lead guitar?

+1, great tone.

At a HUGE tangent, I tried a Fender Road Worn Jazz Bass today. I've owned quite a few J's in my time but this one had it all. Great tone, playability and vibe. Not too sure about the RW finnish but liked the nitro rather than poly. My Musicman Stingray will be up for sale soon. The Road Worn J has won me over.:)

Nothing to do with Teles, but I love the Jazz Bass too. i've got a brace - first generation Squire (assembled in Japan using US parts in 1984) which has the lowest, softest action of any bass I've played ever, and a Surf Blue fender '90 reissue, complete with full chrome fittings and a custom shop flame red scratch plate (Hank Marvin was just in front of me at the service desk when I had it fitted at the fender custom shop up town), which just looks and plays ridiculously cool.

Is the Ed "eDFROMOHIO" Crawford, formerly of fIREHOSE, on lead guitar?

Bloody Hell Yank! You're good!

I do believe you are right. He was only there for five minutes.
It's actually extremely difficult to know who was in Whiskeytown at any given moment and one of the most unlikely guitarists who passed through was James Iha of Smashing Pumpkins.

Will I get stoned if I say that I find this sound ear-crashingly painful ? I had to turn it off, phew.

To me, a Tele sounds good when it's about like Keef's on All Down The Line (Exile). Or Albert Collins for solo stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back