advertisement

Is the Metropolitan Police institutionally corrupt?

A Metropolitan police firearms officer who shot dead an unarmed man at point-blank range should face a hearing for gross misconduct that could lead to him being sacked, the police watchdog has said.

The officer, known only as W80, shot dead Jermaine Baker, 28, in 2015 as he prepared to try to free a prisoner from custody near Wood Green crown court, in north London.

The case has been delayed after objections from the officer and Met, leading to a series of legal cases that have gone all the way to the supreme court.

"in 2022 an inquiry into the case was heavily critical of the Met operation leading up to the shooting, identifying 24 errors the force made that led to W80 and Baker coming face to face."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...r-who-shot-man-dead-in-2015-must-face-hearing

What did we learn from the walkout of firearms officers? The Met looks after its own, not the public
Sue Fish
  • Sue Fish is a former chief constable
"As a result, too many officers believe that the law applies differently to them. That can result in an unwarranted arrest here, a strip-search there, checking police systems for contact details, and worse. Many officers believe that if you are doing your job properly you will be on the receiving end of complaints. The abuse of power is ingrained in policing."

The Met chief, Mark Rowley, needs to decide where he stands: does he prioritise backing his officers or building trust with the communities he and his officers serve? The open letter he wrote to the home secretary made clear where his loyalty lies. While dressed in the rhetoric of reform, it showed that he backed his officers over the public.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...s-officers-met-public-law-chris-kaba-sue-fish

Hampshire police officer sacked for using ‘extreme’ force against detainees

A police officer and power-lifting champion has been dismissed after using “extreme” force against two detainees, including a traumatised woman.

Hampshire constabulary described the actions of Sgt Simon Lythgoe, who was based on the Isle of Wight, as inexcusable and apologised to his victims.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ked-for-using-extreme-force-against-detainees

Hampshire police officer sacked for using ‘extreme’ force against detainees

A police officer and power-lifting champion has been dismissed after using “extreme” force against two detainees, including a traumatised woman.

Hampshire constabulary described the actions of Sgt Simon Lythgoe, who was based on the Isle of Wight, as inexcusable and apologised to his victims.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...ked-for-using-extreme-force-against-detainees
There was also a detailed report on Channel 4 News the other night, including some very disturbing footage of several uniformed thugs beating holy crap out of someone. Didn’t look like no life or death, split second decision to me.

Apparently it’s a breach of medal etiquette - the ones belonging to a deceased family member should be worn on the right hand side - so him wearing them isn’t the problem, it’s that he’s worn them in a fashion that is misleading.
“Mrs. Clegg, you must be proud of him?/ Mrs. Clegg, another drop of gin?”

Apparently it’s a breach of medal etiquette - the ones belonging to a deceased family member should be worn on the right hand side - so him wearing them isn’t the problem, it’s that he’s worn them in a fashion that is misleading.

Plus the force sending out a press release stating he served in the Falklands.

It looks like local newspapers started printing that he was a Falklands veteran in 2013. Perhaps someone recognised the medal. How that's worked it's way into the force's own bio is unclear.

Our reporters have tried to verify when the claim was first made. It was mentioned in an article by the Manchester Evening News back in 2013 and has been repeated in numerous newspapers since then – including the Northants Telegraph and Chronicle and Echo. Our newsdesk have never been asked by Northamptonshire Police to correct the statement.

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.u...medal-despite-not-serving-in-conflict-4353177

Plus the force sending out a press release stating he served in the Falklands.

It looks like local newspapers started printing that he was a Falklands veteran in 2013. Perhaps someone recognised the medal. How that's worked it's way into the force's own bio is unclear.

Our reporters have tried to verify when the claim was first made. It was mentioned in an article by the Manchester Evening News back in 2013 and has been repeated in numerous newspapers since then – including the Northants Telegraph and Chronicle and Echo. Our newsdesk have never been asked by Northamptonshire Police to correct the statement.

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.u...medal-despite-not-serving-in-conflict-4353177

He's had plenty of time to correct the record. Fabricating a CV = Gross misconduct in most lines of work

Sue Fish is a former chief constable

Temporary Chief Constable, actually. She was never substantially promoted to that post.

I’ve said this before - that quoting similar to this has to be done carefully, and should be considered as such.

I don’t know some of the other senior officers providing ‘insight’, but I do know this one. I’m not prepared to elaborate further, as this is a public forum, so I’ll leave it there. Draw your own conclusions.

I don’t know some of the other senior officers providing ‘insight’, but I do know this one. I’m not prepared to elaborate further, as this is a public forum, so I’ll leave it there. Draw your own conclusions.

TBH Andrew that just reads like an attempt to discredit Sue Fish without offering any explanation.

Her wiki entry states:

Fish has spoken about the 'toxic culture of sexism' in the police force, and about her own experience of sexual assault by colleagues. She was awarded Law Enforcement Upstander of the Year in the National Hate Crime Awards 2016 for her leadership on misogyny as a hate crime.

She's quoted in this BBC story:

Ms Fish said she did not report the first assault as she thought she would not be believed. She reported the second assault but the officer remained in post.
"Unwanted touching would be probably the best way of describing it," she said of the two assaults, which she added were "technically indecent assaults".
Of the first assault, she said: "I was a lot younger, felt a lot more vulnerable, there were no witnesses, it was a senior officer, he was very well liked, very well regarded - who was going to believe me?"
She added: "The second situation was exactly the same, only I was an older, but still very much the junior, officer."

On the face of it her experience would suggest she does have useful insight into some of the failings of the police.

It's hard to draw any firm conclusions regarding your apparent reservations if you won't or can't elaborate.

advertisement

Back