advertisement

is it overkill to buy tall

15 hands too high? Exactly how big is it? 15 hands is roughly quarter horse size, which is fine for most - and excellent horses too, by the way. Larger and youRe getting into draft horse territory, which aren't really known as riding horses.

The horse you buy, by the way, should suit your riding ability, that's the most important criteria. Never buy a thoroughbred if you're less than an expert, and go for older horse if you're a novice - the aforementioned quarter horses are good choices.

And don't forget good interconnects are required, bits, reins, bridles a very posh saddle, these accessories all add up. You will need to pay attention to the details like high a quality directional feed, a good support system for bedding (are you old skool and get straw or are you thoroughly modern and just use rubber matting?) and if you have your own horsey room a synergy with another horse will be quite good they are herd creatures and do not like isolation.

I have never seen a horse on Mana.

I personally recommend a Connemara. 15HH will see you there and well tempered and are generally good riders.

Boy or a Girl? 15HH will buy you a nice small male horse or a nice big girl. What's your fancy?

15 hands too high? Exactly how big is it? 15 hands is roughly quarter horse size, which is fine for most

Crazy or not, I read the OP as wanting a whole horse. If he wants to gallop all around pfm and stomping through threads he might like a very high one indeed.

I'd go for a small pony personally. More manoeuverable with smaller upkeep, and always a lot cuter.

I'd go for a small pony personally. More manoeuverable with smaller upkeep, and always a lot cuter.

Recommending a pony is certainly a good starting position. Go plastic. totally easy on the upkeep. Eat next to nothing and so cute even a grown man in his 50s will fall in love with one. I think that means it ought to be a Red Pony...

Pony all the yups by c-g., on Flickr

They come in two sizes. Both have an Apple on their Butt. Sorry no Windows or Linux Ponies yet. Should fit in a Fiat Punto easy peasy...

Crazy or not, I read the OP as wanting a whole horse. If he wants to gallop all around pfm and stomping through threads he might like a very high one indeed.

At one time I though you could only buy a whole horse but then Tesco proved otherwise...

for a nice little countryside walk... see if you like all that muscle between your thighs or not... Always try before you buy... And if someone gives you one as a gift, don't look into its mouth unless you are a qualified horse dentist

im thinking of buying a horse is fifteen hands to high ,,

is it crazy
If you are confident in your riding skills and can look after it?
No reason why not.
I was ridding 16 hand hard to handle stallions at the age of 9 but you have to know what you are doing and the horse.
My favourite and most loved horse ever, Paddy laid down outside with his head in through the open french doors and watched every England world cup game with us in 1966.

advertisement

Back