advertisement

Is diffraction tolerable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does saying they look unattractive count as a catty comment?

Martin.

Allow me . . No, Martin, it doesn't. I get this a lot. I can dye them or an owner can dye them. They can be made to fit inside of a speaker's grill in most cases. Beyond that, all I can say is the end will justify the means.

Does saying they look unattractive count as a catty comment?

I found those things are hideous looking, but years ago, my pair of Avalon was supplied with the felt strips/surroundings when used without their grills and actually they did work.
If I recall, some Duntechs I've tried also had felt surroundings around drivers but they were built into the speaker design.

My speakers have some high-tech built in felt surrounds to the highs and mids and a nice serrated front baffle to counteract this i believe, and they still sound like shit :D

Rockport speakers also tend to have felt around the drivers. Most are not thick enough felt to have an effect below the very highest frequencies though.

LS3/5A many, many years ago had felt around the tweeter. Not sure if this was the first.

I'm certain DSJR will remember because he went to school with Gilbert Briggs.:D

My very first real loudspeakers (AR94) had felt surrounds on the tweeter. I've found the use of wide baffles and large roundovers far more aesthetic and just as effective.

James

I found those things are hideous looking, but years ago, my pair of Avalon supplied the felt strips/surroundings when used without their grills and actually they did work.
If I recall, some Duntechs I've tried also had felt surroundings around drivers but they were built into the speaker design.

And they were applied for a reason. John Dunlavy, Duntech was formerly his company, wrote that time and phase malady is responsible for what we know as listener fatigue. They were there to absorb diffraction. His top of the line (array) model was, I believe, 6' tall. Owners tell me they image like point sources. My speaks just completely disappear. Instruments and vocals take on more of a life of their own independent of a source.

Pair of scissors, an off-cut of some good old-fashioned carpet felt - a bit a glue (pref something I can peel off again easily if I don't like it) - I might even give it a go this week end just to see what diffrence it makes to my system(Meridian 206DS -Olive 62/180 - Epos ES-14's (original epos stands))

That's the spirit! You got nuthin to lose. It needs to be organic wool, my friend, else it may change things for the worse. Happy trails, tho, with best wishes. I own a pair of Meridian M20 actives if that is somehow relevant and have fitted for several Epos models to include one ES-14.

Re: above, John Dunlavy also wrote "the output should equal the input". Amen. He wrote more about diffraction effects than anyone I know of and I do what he did. In fact, I modeled my patent application after his which expired in '99 using a good deal of his text. I've retro fitted for two Dunlavy model speaks down under, the wool was getting a little long in the tooth, with the same positive results. Who knows, that may be a cottage industry for me to come. Cheers.

When I was younger I experimented with felt pads round tweeters and could not hear the slightest difference. Removing speaker grills, now that is another matter entirely.

Kuma I trust you found this chatty but not catty, pet!

What are *roundovers*?
Hi,

Strictly speaking its where the edge of a surface has been cut away to give a rounded profile. In a speaker its the front edge of the baffle, where the rounded over edge allows the sound a more gentle transition from the speaker front to free space, and so the reflection at the edge of the cabinet is minimised.

By the way, I will reply to your email, I've just been mad busy these last few days. Did you listen to that song yet? :)

Simon,

Thanks.

I've seen/heard those speakers. I thought it was for the decorative reason.
Can you give me a good example?

Wouldn't an open baffle eliminate this problem?
Yes. I have listened to the smells via my shitty laptop. :)

Wouldn't an open baffle eliminate this problem?
Not open baffles, but an infinitely wide one would. The idea is to present a continuous surface for sound waves to propogate cleanly like ripples in the middle of a pond. The moment there is discontinuity (or sharp edge), the perfect wave is interrupted and sub-ripples occur, which amount to diffractive distortion.

James

Not open baffles, but an infinitely wide one would. The idea is to present a continuous surface for sound waves to propogate cleanly like ripples in the middle of a pond. The moment there is discontinuity (or sharp edge), the perfect wave is interrupted and sub-ripples occur, which amount to diffractive distortion.

James

Probably really obvious when you know - but I don't, so:

To what extent is the baffle seen as an active component, or if not strictly 'active' at least an integral part of the driver? Put another way, is the ideal either no baffle (like the Gallos referred to earlier) or an infinite baffle, with everything in between being a best compromise? (yes, I know speakers are a whole set of compromises to start with).

Also, further to James' comment above regarding discontinuity of surface, to what extent to additions such as felt rings constitute a discontinuity?

I've been here for years (admittedly trade for maybe one year), and I have yet to make a buck. Just as well I have a day job, huh?

James

LOL...you're simply suffering the woes of a small company's marketing and distribution. Hang in there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back