advertisement

Integrated Amp

Shane2468

pfm Member
Soon I'll be hunting for an integrated amp to use in the spare room. The room is almost medium sized.

Ideally, I want an integrated with good high current and control. Phono stage not needed.

The speakers are Neat Petite 3 & CD Player is Rega Planet MK1 (Clamshell)

Neat Petites responds very well to an amp with more power and control.

Second hand budget £200-500.

Know of something good?

Thanks.

S.

Rotel RA10

I had this Rotel for a pair of month in a second hifi system: very fine and powerful amplifier.

High Current and control, for £200-£500?

My picks would be:

Sony TA-F770ES - Smoother, refined and lots of inputs features including and an ace Phono-stage, not that you need it though. Around £300, maybe more depending on condition/service.

Denon PMA-2000AE - As the Sony above but a lot newer and bit more expensive. Around £500.

Restek Challenger - Even more dynamic, power and control. Lots of inputs too. Rare though. Around £400.

Bryston B60 - If you don't need the outright power, the best of the lot! Around £500-£600.

High Current and control, for £200-£500?

My picks would be:

Sony TA-F770ES - Smoother, refined and lots of inputs features including and an ace Phono-stage, not that you need it though. Around £300, maybe more depending on condition/service.

Denon PMA-2000AE - As the Sony above but a lot newer and bit more expensive. Around £500.

Restek Challenger - Even more dynamic, power and control. Lots of inputs too. Rare though. Around £400.

Bryston B60 - If you don't need the outright power, the best of the lot! Around £500-£600.

Lovely, thanks.

S.

I've an XTZ Class-A-100D3, bought it on a pure impulse the other night but not sure it suits my system however it gets great reviews has an on-board DAC and a MM/MC phono board but it weighs an absolute ton at 22kgs (27 kgs boxed).

I paid £380 cash for it collected I'd be looking for that back plus postage.

I have the original double box and manual etc.

PM if interested?

Tony

http://www.xtz.se/shop/eu/electronics/integrated-amplifiers/xtz-class-a-100-d3-black

That Onix is a good shout by the way. A real classic from the 80's. Never heard the effect of its external PSU, but it did have a nice phono stage IIRC.

Out of those (sorry I have no experience of the Restek nor Bryston that Rob recommends - would certainly like to though!) I'd take the 770ES.

Brio-R's a nice enough little amp - I had one for a while and enjoyed it - but it's not a patch on the Sony.

There's a Sugden A21a for sale in the classifieds but TBH when I tried my old one with Neat Petite SX I didn't think it was a good match.

A21a with ProAc 1sc on the other hand is heaven.

advertisement

Back