advertisement

Insuring first car at 23

Maybe a bit late now, but I heard from someone at work that if you put them on your policy as a named driver, some companies will allow this to accrue no claims discount.

Stick him on your or your wife's insurance, my son has been driving for about four years and he's on my wife's insurance, I think he gets some no claims benefit from that and her insurance with me as a named driver is about £320 fully comp.

His own insurance will be huge at that age despite the car, my local barber was paying £2,700 at that age and only third party fire and theft I believe.

We found that we could get a significant discount by putting our daughter onto my wifes insurance policy. They both have their own separate policies within one package and they each have their own NCB. I think fully comp is under £500. Certainly both fully comp policies are a little over £800. Our daughter has been on this package since 18.

Also state a limited annual mileage and stick to it. Oh and before I fergit put yourself and your wife as driver of juniors car as it drops the premium believe it or not.

Cheers,

DV

Marmalade insurance is a good deal if your son is still learning.
We insured our daughters car in my name fully comp. The marmalade insurance specifically covers the learner driving with the main insured person accompanying them.
Think we paid £150ish for 3 months of learner driver insurance, by which time she should be ready to take her test.
Once they've passed their test, it gets a whole lot more expensive! We're figuring on approx £1200 for her first year, in a 2 yr old Aygo.

If he gets his own insurance on his own car then putting you and your wife on as additional drivers may lower the cost. Using a black box tracker may also help and encourage him to drive sensibly (not saying that he wouldn't anyway, of course).
My eldest got her first car 2 years ago and we did the above with Admiral - came to about £820 iirc (just a tad under what the car cost!). They also had some deal where she got the first year's NCD after 10 months. I think the deal was through Money Supermarket. Just make sure that you get everything right on the initial application, because changes are charged at a hefty rate!

My daughter used Adrian Flux for learner insurance and then transferred to Tesco Black Box insurance once she passed her test. Cost around £1300 for the first year for 6000 miles, telemetrics box and no curfew aged 17 driving a 2012 Fiat 500.

So far so good and a decent website to review driving performance. I would recommend them so far but have had no claims so can't comment about that.

Oh that also included my wife and I as named drivers - insurance is fully comp.

Maybe a bit late now, but I heard from someone at work that if you put them on your policy as a named driver, some companies will allow this to accrue no claims discount.

To clarify, I was not advocating this to insure his own car, but it is possible to gain NCD on another car / policy to save cost in the future when you take out your own policy.

When the time came to insure a car for my daughter she took the policy in her own name & added both myself & my wife as additional drivers. The result of that was a reduction from a fresh starter £1456 to £987 fully comp.

She now has 2 yrs NCB to her own name so the premium this year should be vastly lower.

That was with Diamond at an age of 23 yrs old as well.

brilliant , I guess depends where you live . where I live it would probably be 4 times that !!! my wife works in the area highest in uk for uninsured drivers which screws it for us all

The cost does come down quite quickly as they get older but I believe they take driving experience into account as well. My 23 year old who has one speeding related driving course to her name was just quoted £838 on a new Ford Kuga 2.0 diesel 182 BHP and 12k miles a year. I am a named driver. I Was surprised.

It depends on who drives the more. If he drives more then the insurance company, in the event of a claim, might refuse it.

Or worse still ask for proof of who drove it most, but then if a black box is fitted maybe they already know.

They probably read here and know who we are.....:eek:

advertisement

Back