advertisement

Info on transformer

mlx

Was hunting around for a trafo to feed a generic rectifier for a B4 build and came across this - http://goo.gl/4oG17S. I was wondering if anyone has experience of this make and model and whether, in this instance, low price and quality can go hand in hand. Otherwise any recommendations? Thanks

I don't know the specific model, but I expect it would work fine.

You could also use a smaller one - 10 or 15VA would be just as good. They are only a pound or so cheaper, but are rather smaller, which saves space in the case.

Thank you all very much for your kind assistance and advice.

Must say the Talema-Nuvotem looks pretty neat. Do they come supplied with the PCB for mounting? Very nice phonostage build too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Is there any benefit to those encapsulated transformers aside from the fact they are PCB mount? Do they offer better performance than the open toroidal types?

Is there any benefit to those encapsulated transformers aside from the fact they are PCB mount? Do they offer better performance than the open toroidal types?

I would expect them them to be mechanically quieter, as they are glued into a solid lump.

Alan, thanks for the link. Think I'll file that for future reference - I remember reading on one of the B4 build threads where PigletsDad mentioned that B4 is pretty tolerant of trafo quality. Seems a shame therefore to use such a good transformer where its potential will be untapped. I do find it strange though that pcb trafos are not sold with a pcb (or as an add on by the original manufacturer). Seems such a natural pairing.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom