advertisement

Industrial Decline

@eternumviti Great shots and very atmospheric, there is something about this kind of work that film really suits - digital would just not be the same. But in 1980 I was too interested in beer, the opposite sex and heavy metal to actually own a camera! I think this contributes as to why I'm so interested in the 70s/80s now - its like opening my eyes to a world I missed (or cedrtainly didn't pay much attention to!)

@eternumviti Great shots and very atmospheric, there is something about this kind of work that film really suits - digital would just not be the same. But in 1980 I was too interested in beer, the opposite sex and heavy metal to actually own a camera! I think this contributes as to why I'm so interested in the 70s/80s now - its like opening my eyes to a world I missed (or cedrtainly didn't pay much attention to!)

Thank you, David. Although I agree with you, they're actually not all film - the two later (2014) photos are digital. Interestingly my hit rate in the later visit was way below that with the film. I came away with these two reasonably decent files out of 35 with the digital camera in 2014, 12 or 13 out of 36 with film in 1980.

I caught the tail-end of a film about the Red River, which flows between Camborne and Redruth, on BBC4 on Monday night, and watched it all on iplayer last night. It is absolutely fascinating - the presenter is a local, and a prof at Exeter University. The Red River runs through his blood, and his passion and feel for this landscape, and his evocative poetry, were an absolute joy to behold.

The river runs very close to the subject of my photos, and he visits Marriott's engine houses in the film. Jem Southam features in the film - I had absolutely no idea that his first book was called the Red River - he studied it with his camera for much of the 1980s. I highly recommend it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0014zrj/cornwalls-red-river

This one was completely new to me, it popped up on a local history Facebook feed (proving Facebook has its uses!)

Ammonia Soda Works, Plumley - words from Daniel Clark https://danielrclark.wordpress.com/2014/01/06/ammonia-soda-works-plumley/

Hidden away in the Plumley Nature Reserve on Ascol Drive, Plumley, lies a long-forgotten piece of Northwich’s industrial history. Scattered amongst the trees and foliage are a series of unusual concrete structures alongside a solitary brick warehouse building. This is the remains of the Ammonia Soda Works, run by the Ammonia Soda Co Ltd.

In 1907, brine was discovered on the Holford Hall Estate, near Plumley. Subsequently, the Ammonia Soda Company purchased nearby land for the erection of an ammonia soda works. The company made three borings, the deepest reaching a depth of 2,509 feet.

The Ammonia Soda Works was constructed in 1908 to the north of the Mid-Cheshire railway line. In 1916, during World War I, the works were taken over by Brunner Mond who, on behalf of the Ministry of Defence, began producing ammonium nitrate for use in munitions. The large brick warehouse that still stands today was used to house stockpiles of munitions which were then transported via the connecting trunk lines onto the Mid-Cheshire railway. Shortly after World War I, production was moved the Victoria Works in Northwich, a newer and much larger production site. After World War I, much of the original soda works was demolished, with the exception of the large brick warehouse which continued to be used the nearby Octel company to store sodium drums. With the demise of the Octel company in the 1970s, the large brick warehouse was left abandoned with the rest of the site.

So a visit was in order!

Lt9GSvxh.jpg

2uYWE2Hh.jpg

NV9gRtbh.jpg

aGtcVnnh.jpg

West Wheal Basset Stamps and ore processing floors.

I visited very early one morning in 1980, rising before dawn to catch the early light. Walking across a damp, dewy field I was unexpectedly apprehended by this fine pig whose lair appeared to have been built within one of the engine houses, and who thus formed the first, somewhat unusual, composition of the day.

e33gB8.jpg

W8h1Ah.jpg

An overview of the site from the side. The chimney served an arsenic calciner, and partially conceals that for the stamps engine house in the background. The engine was a 40" cylinder, which drove 80 heads of Cornish Stamps via a flywheel in front of the house. The crushed ore would then have been processed through the Vanner House on the right, where it was washed on banks of vanning tables to separate the minerals out. Further refinement would then have taken place on the buddles, just below the Vanner House. The buddles refined the fine silt using brushes on sloped cylinders. The whole lot was operated by the beam engine at the top, using a complex system of belts, pulleys and flywheels, and an enormous quantity of water. The commotion within these plants must have been deafening, and the chill during the winter miserable. They were a tough old lot. I have often reflected on the awful conditions which were the norm in industry and agriculture being an explanation as to how the workers from these places were able to endure the trenches in the Great War.

gPq4yo.jpg

The 40" stamps engine house. The flywheel ran in a slot in the platform in front of the bob wall, and the stamps extended in front of the platform, to each side. The house is quite unusual in that the chimney for the boilers was not integral to the building.

iklm3R.jpg

UG1ovA.jpg

CrXTn6.jpg

hThSpz.jpg

Looking across part of the Arsenic Calciner to the Vanner House. I assume the photo above it depicts part of either a water conduit or a section of horizontal chimney.

EryTuh.jpg

YMvlid.jpg

The last two photos show the fine Vanner House from across the buddling floor. It was completed in 1906.

West Wheal Basset, Wheal Basset on the opposite hill, South Wheal Frances (subject of my earler posts) and a number of associated workings were incorporated into Wheal Basset Ltd in the early 1890s due to various boundary disputes. Wheal Basset and West Wheal Basset served as the processing areas for the entire company, and were supplied with ore by a pair of tramways running steam locomotives. The tramway bed now forms part of the Great Flat Trail, which runs around Carn Brea, and extends I think to 4 or 5 miles.

Wheal Basset Ltd was wound up in 1918, when the price of tin rendered the workings no longer economically viable.

Last edited:
Some images of the same buildings taken 34 years after those above. The buildings have fared, it has to be said, somewhat better than the photographer. They were consolidated in the 1990s.

avNYV8.jpg

galV3D.jpg

XxP00q.jpg

In the middle photograph the holes in the back wall of the vanner house would have carried the ore shutes, taking the crushed ore from the stamps to the vanning tables. The buddles and settling tanks are clearly visible in the last one. There are 16 in total.

Parys Mountain - Great Opencast
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

Great Opencast – shaped by miners using nothing more than picks, shovels and gunpowder! There is a level walk around the top of the Great Opencast and a viewing area with a stunning panorama that shows off the excavation’s amazing colours - an artist’s palette of reds, oranges, pinks, browns, purples, blacks, greens, yellows, and greys.

People have mined the metals harboured within Parys Mountain since the Bronze Age. A mass of copper ore that was discovered there in the late 1760’s prompted large scale mining, with yields so great that Amlwch came to dominate the world copper market for a decade. It became known as the ‘Copper Kingdom’. The mine owner, Thomas Williams became known as the ‘Copper King’. Even today, there is thought to be a reserve of about 6 million tonnes beneath the old mine workings.

Some more from Porth Wen Brickworks

From wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porth_Wen_Brickworks

Porth Wen Brickworks first built by Charles E Tidy, is now a disused Victorian brickworks which produced fire bricks, made from silica used to line steel making furnaces. It includes quarries, an incline tramroad to the works, and includes a crushing house, moulding shed, drying sheds, and kilns. The brickmaking operation was supported by storage hoppers, engine house, boiler house, chimneys, warehouse and a quay. Brickmaking started on the site in the mid 19th century, with the tramroad being added later, and the existing buildings being built in the early 20th century.[6] Although the brickworks ceased production in the first half of the 20th century

220324 Porth Wen Brickworks-8

220324 Porth Wen Brickworks-7

220324 Porth Wen Brickworks-6

Love them. The muted colours a well-suited to the subject too.

Thanks, managed to get 3 keepers from the first 5 shots on the roll (the first shot was too near begining of film and is only half a frame

Managed to ruin that positive start with 3 following shots the next day with the lens cap on, schoolboy error :mad::D:mad:

advertisement

Back