advertisement

Improving TDL Studio 1 crossover

df_genius

Solder slinger
I thought I'd have a peek at the crossovers to see if there was anything that could be improved upon. On my Studio 1's the crossover comprises of 4uF, 5uF and 12uF "ALCAP" bipolar electrolytics, 1.5 and 10 ohm resistors (ordinary white rectangular types) and an air-cored inductor (wound on a plastic bobbin). Logical steps would be to replace the caps with films and the resistors with better types. What would people reccommend? there doesn't seem to be many 4 and 5uf capacitors around (most seem to for motors)

I used Jantzen audio 'crosscaps' on my RTL2's. If you cant find the exact value then parallel different values to get as close as possible to what you need. Made a definite improvement to my ears :)

Search for "4uF PIO" on ebay and you'll find plenty of old USSR caps, which are good - I use these in my DIY jobbie. You can make 12uF by paralleling three of them, and I guess add a 1uF to a 4 for the 5?

Agree with sorting the caps first, then the resistors.

Are they Studio 1s or 1Ms? TBH I liked both, TDL made some decent speakers back in the day.

Mine are the 1's (bass driver on top, polypropelene cone). Looking forward to seeing how the polypropelene caps will make a difference.

Hi, yes I did, I came accross some Kef 103/4's with rottenbass drivers, repaired them and upgraded the crossovers. The TDL's are currently in the loft. I have bought Jantzen caps for them though. I used Alcaps in the KEF's for tweeter and midrange and they were much better than the standard electrolytics.

I think that Ansar supersound capacitors are staggeringly good sound and value:)
They do all the values you need as well from Cricklewood
http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php?cat=155

A group buy for these might be a good idea
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=220839534970
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=220839534971

Note that the Russ Andrews RATA supersound were the same caps at twice the price !

Wilmslow audio sell them as well

Alan

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Does anyone have a circuit diagram with component values and possibly a photo of a TDL studio 1(not the M's) crossover i could have please. I have some in seemingly great condition but without original crossovers, which sound terrible.

Thanks in advance, James.

I think that Ansar supersound capacitors are staggeringly good sound and value:)
They do all the values you need as well from Cricklewood

Wilmslow audio sell them as well

Alan

I agree with Alan, they're great vfm. I also really like the ClarityCap ESA and CSA ranges if you are inclined to spend a little more without going mad.

What about other jantzen caps higher up the range like the superior etc

Are there companies that allow one to send inductors to measures what inductance is as I don't know how to do it on a standard multimeter

Hi All
Any recommendations for someone who could build me new crossovers for TDL Studio Ones ? I have already bought the Capacitors Jentzen Cross Caps
And will be using Monacor SPH 170C Mid/Bass Drivers and Monacor DT 250 Tweeters
Its a complete rebuild as i bought them cheap with no mid/bass drivers and knackered tweeters
Cheers :)

advertisement

Back