advertisement

Importing from Audiophonics

Not too off topic I hope. What is the situation if I send something I own to Europe for repair/upgrade? Is it subject to VAT/customs duty when it is sent back?

Info here and link to commodities and duty rates for goods brought in by post/courier.

Gifts under £39 no vat

Under £135 seller includes the vat unless a gift over £39 then you pay delivery company the vat

Over £135 you pay delivery company the vat

Admin fees are on top - typically £8/£11.50/ 2.5% depends on courier

Excise goods are different.

Bringing stuff in by hand is different.
That's all correct but I've bought a lot of stuff from Audiophonics and the VAT /admin cost has only been applied 50% of the time. The rest has sailed straight through!

That's all correct but I've bought a lot of stuff from Audiophonics and the VAT /admin cost has only been applied 50% of the time. The rest has sailed straight through!
Hit and miss, sometimes you luck out, bought quite a lot of LPs from abroad over covid and many got through, the ones from Oz when sender was using Fed Ex got hammered 100%.

Not too off topic I hope. What is the situation if I send something I own to Europe for repair/upgrade? Is it subject to VAT/customs duty when it is sent back?

There are customs forms and/or export options for "repair" when you book the shipment with most couriers which would cover this. And the item would probably not be insured for loss/damage if you didn't declare its value.

But if the item is of low value (under £135) then it's not applicable anyway.

I've repaired stuff for quite a few Italian clients and they've been absolutely hammered paying VAT etc against full value. Other countries may be better!

Has anyone ever bought anything from Audiophonics in France?

I'm trying to understand the implications for VAT/import duty/admin charges by the courier etc.

There's a button on their website where you choose your location but when I choose UK it says "VAT 0%". So, I assume they do not collect it and send it to HMRC on your behalf? So I'd get a bill from someone?

Can anyone please shed any light?
I bought a quad of kt150 valves from them. I had to pay £75 fees to ups before delivery. the valves still worked out cheaper than buying here in the UK. I think it saved me £42 per valve , so worth it.

I've repaired stuff for quite a few Italian clients and they've been absolutely hammered paying VAT etc against full value. Other countries may be better!
Ouch! I'm going to start a new thread to see if there is any collective experience.

An ESS Raspberry Pi HAT DAC I had bought from them developped a fault (one channel died) during the warranty period and they let me replace it for something else.

And they have a forum where you can ask questions, although I believe it is French-speaking.

I purchased a Shanling ET-3 Transport from Audiophonics. totally painless experience. you buy ex VAT and pay UPS the VAT when delivered. Delivery was within 5 working days, great company to deal with.
Thanks. Was it just VAT (plus the UPS charge) or is there customs due on hifi products too?

How much was the UPS charge? Is it a flat fee or a %?

An ESS Raspberry Pi HAT DAC I had bought from them developped a fault (one channel died) during the warranty period and they let me replace it for something else.

And they have a forum where you can ask questions, although I believe it is French-speaking.
Mais bien sûr.

But they will also answer questions asked in English quite happily.

Thanks. Was it just VAT (plus the UPS charge) or is there customs due on hifi products too?

How much was the UPS charge? Is it a flat fee or a %?
The freight charge was added at checkout. I don’t remember the exact amount and the info is no longer available online, sorry,. As far as I remember it was a straight 20% on the net converted price, same as it would be if you purchased in the UK,

I feared this would get political :rolleyes:

So, I have to pay 20% VAT when it arrives, likely to be collected by the courier. And they will add an admin fee for doing that.

Is there any customs duty to pay on hifi products?
You are correct on the 20% Vat. It was free delivery though! I imported from Denmark and no customs duty was payable.

advertisement

Back