advertisement

IMF Professional Monitor IV

Those are wonderful sounding speakers & are in excellent shape. Others would know better, especially on the AudioKarma site thread mentioned, but I think they are the 1st series Professional Monitor I, which came before the Studio model. I'm not an expert though & may be wrong, it looks pre-1971. Placing it as maybe the earliest IMF offering when the company had the previous name you see on your badging. What does the front emblem badge read ?, and what are the words on the back of the cabinet ?

The B139 woofer is the early version, and the tweeter and super-tweeter are very early versions, plus the damping, if original, places it at that time. If badged Transcription Electronics (same company before named IMF) - those are hard to come by & possibly adding much to the value. That exceptional condition is noteworthy.

There was also a later 1981 Professional Monitor series that is different.
You may want to post the foto on AK IMF Owners Thread & ask - what exact model & date is it ? And what is it's selling value in the country you are in (some go higher in some countries - they run lower in the States). Mention the words on the front emblem & back of cabinet - important. Guaranteed you'll find your answer within 1 day response there if you link your foto.

I have IMF RSPM MK IV, Super Compact II and Fried Model R series I models.
You can also find info on (3) sites - Falcon Acoustics UK at IMF tab, IMF-Electronics, and also Yahoo group IMF-Electronics site.

Best of Luck - those are exceptionally nice !

Hi Paulthefirst,could you please send the detail plan of your imf design with the peerless speaker.
good listening
thanks
Ewell from Mauritius

The IMF Professional Monitor IV is a speaker I never got the chance to listen to.

I owned a pair of TDL RSLS from 1988 - 1992 ish and still miss them.

I have had a pair of last generation PMs purchased used, but perfect in 1991, in operation for going on 30 years... jeez.. If you have old IMFs, your best friend these days is Falcon audio in the UK. I bought a set of 2% toleranced caps specifically for my speaks and the improvement was well worth the modest cost and a few hours of soldering. They sound the same, but the soundstage is more coherent with the parts both up to spec and much better matched. Falcon is also producing exact replicas of the T27, B110 and B139 drivers. As far as amps go, the NuForce amps with their unprecedented damping in the bass and their smooth extended top end are what an IMF fan’s dreams are made of. I’ve also spent time with my friend’s RSPM VIIs (which are the best speaker I’ve ever heard under six figures) the R2, a fabulously well designed line tunnel using the trio of Kef drivers, and an old pair of Mk IV Monitors my brother aquired for a lousy 400 bucks. John Wright knew his stuff. Keep em as close to stock as you can!

Just purchased a pair of the IMF Reference Source Professional Monitor MK IV's. They had been owned by the original purchaser since he bought them new in 1982. I've seen pictures of these placed on stands. What would be the correct height, and do they need to lean backwards at all? I'm trying to come up with something workable. Thanks for any assistance with this.

advertisement

Back