advertisement

Hypex modules

BTW ron, I must admit I didn't liked so much the LM4562 (DIP case in my active crossover)- too sterile for my taste. IMHO LM6172 with good output caps will be better. Now I'm using the Ucd with THS4032, I'ts nice and natural sounding device, but I think I will preffer the AD8066. The THS becomes quite warm with the 4.7mA CRD at the output, and I'm suffering from oscillophobia ;) .

Cheers
Avi

Cheers Andy! How much do I owe you?
I've been asking around trying to get a couple more LM4562's without much luck:(

I've not tried again yet!

Do you have any BC128's suitable for the Hypex input coupling? I could use a couple as a swap for the Pana's.

Andy.

I've not tried again yet!

Do you have any BC128's suitable for the Hypex input coupling? I could use a couple as a swap for the Pana's.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I only have a pair of 10uf 16v BC128's if any good to you? Somebody reported on here that either 22uf or 47uf's BC128's sounded better than the 10uf's but you can give em a try if you like:) I've not tried these in the UCD's as I don't need coupling caps

Ron

I've been asking around trying to get a couple more LM4562's without much luck:(

Ron, I've just put in another sample order for a few more of these - if I get through their screening process again (they seem to more hardline on the soic parts - no problem getting dips...) then I'll let you know - you're welcome to them.

Regards

James

Ron, I've just put in another sample order for a few more of these - if I get through their screening process again (they seem to more hardline on the soic parts - no problem getting dips...) then I'll let you know - you're welcome to them.

Regards

James

Cheers James! I actually really like these op-amps now, well I like them in the UCD.
I don't mind paying for them its just getting hold of the things:D I would like to get one to try with a SB3 I'm currently playing about with and mainly wanted to try and get a couple for Andy to try in his UCD, thats if he wanted to try them

just got the sample order confirmation through so it looks like they're on their way - I ordered 3 so you can have them all if you want

BTW ron, I must admit I didn't liked so much the LM4562 (DIP case in my active crossover)- too sterile for my taste. IMHO LM6172 with good output caps will be better. Now I'm using the Ucd with THS4032, I'ts nice and natural sounding device, but I think I will preffer the AD8066. The THS becomes quite warm with the 4.7mA CRD at the output, and I'm suffering from oscillophobia ;) .

Cheers
Avi

Hi Avi,

I just fitted AD8066's in the SB3 (along with a few other tweaks) they don't seem bad so far
I was originally going to fit these in place of the 5532's in the UCD but used the Ad8620 instead seeing as though it was what Hypex used, tbh I was never really happy with the AD8620's so the 8066's may have been the better choice.

BTW if your using the CRD's did you check to make sure the worse PSRR is on the -12v supply for the THS4032's:)

Ron

just got the sample order confirmation through so it looks like they're on their way - I ordered 3 so you can have them all if you want

Top man! cheers James:) don't you need them or are you using the DIL ones?
both the UCD and SB3 uses smd

Ron

Oh and post man just delivered a package containing a pair of PPS caps:D Cheers Andy

I've got no use for them really - saw you were after a couple so thought I'd see if they'd send me some more!

Thats very kind of you, cheers James:cool:

Is this how you fitted the PPS caps Andy? ignore the green bit at the side, just scrape a bit of the green screen off and solder one end to that and have the cap lay on its side?
These look like those old Siemans stacked films but without the legs soldered on the end
219435463.jpg

Ron

BTW if your using the CRD's did you check to make sure the worse PSRR is on the -12v supply for the THS4032's:)

Yep, THS4032/AD8066/opa2134 worse PSRR is the -12v supply, so CRD board surgery is not requierd as with the LM4562 ;)

Does anyone knows the value of the output coil?
I want to try 47nF caps (WIMA PPS), and want to know the new frequency cut off point.

Thanks
Avi.

Yep, THS4032/AD8066/opa2134 worse PSRR is the -12v supply, so CRD board surgery is not requierd as with the LM4562 ;)

Lucky you! it was fun hardwiring smd CRD's using tiny bits of wire:p
I think the J511's would have been much easier than the smd SST511's but I suppose you have to use what you have, its certainly a mod worth doing IMO

... I suppose you have to use what you have, its certainly a mod worth doing IMO

The 4.7mA CRD is maybe too much for the THS (maybe too much for AD8620??). the THS4032 is quite warm with it so maybe I'm not so lucky after all ;)

Ron- Thanks for the coil info :)

Avi

The 4.7mA CRD is maybe too much for the THS (maybe too much for AD8620??). the THS4032 is quite warm with it so maybe I'm not so lucky after all ;)

Ron- Thanks for the coil info :)

Avi

The LM4562's seem to run cool in mine.
I have couple of used J504's somewhere

Anyway glad I could help with coil.

I'm thinking if its worth changing the bootstrap caps next, I still want to replace the 470uf 63v decoupling caps so will look into that too

here is my take on the Hypex story...
This thread is great! please keep it on!

I will follow on this tomorrow, I'm dead tired...

Nice work Yair!

It's good to see you here after a long time.. ;)
BTW how was the changing from coils to resistors in the CAP6?

Avi

Hi Laverda,
My standard UCD's sounds light in the bass..............about a days running through Kans (no enough weight) bass is there but no guts to it...........yet though tis nice and tuneful with all the detail and more.........

IME, bass depends mostly on PS caps, main and module's caps.
I recommend using Rubycon ZL 470uF as module's caps as they really transformed bass in my UCD400 (DC coupled).
BTW, wich UCD do you have, 180 or 400? Sorry I did not get it...

That said, bass can sound a bit slow sometimes. At DIYaudio there was a thread about swapping the output coil for another (DIY) inductor, on a different Class D amp. They reported great improvement in transparency and freq extension, if I recall well.

Other DIYer recommended soldering PS and speaker wires to PCB for difficult loads. Type of hook-up wire, signal, PS and speaker can also be important on the perceived frequency balance...though this is a topic that usually starts disputes and gets the threads uncomfortable :(

Cheers,
M

advertisement

Back