advertisement

Hypex modules

Time to revive this thread and see if the Hypex module pioneers are still happy with their amps, moved on to bigger and better things or have continued tweaking ?

Look forward to your updates ;-)

Hi

I have used my UCD180ADs with caps bypassed for 6 years or more now. Never felt the urge to move on. Might be tempted to replace the linear power supply with the SMPS modules but content with them really.

Might wait to see what happens with the new, improved class D from Hypex when they release the DIY nCore module.

Anyone thinking of going Hypex, there is nothing in the DIY market, at the price, with the quality and reliability and ease of use to match it imo. Enjoy.

Mark

I have a pair of mono amps built on Hypex UcD400 HR HxR with the matching SMPS. I am very happy with them and I have no desire to change. I have compared them with some serious high end kit and they certainly are right up there on sound quality.

One of my 2 UCD400ADs blew a couple of years ago and Hypex repaired it for free, however it's gone again so I'm considering upgrading the two to UCD400HG+HXRs. I bought the pair of modules s/h for less than £100 so I can't really complain. The only question in my mind is whether to wait for the nCore modules due later this year.

I'm running off linear PSUs and with the exception of this module failing I can't fault them. The sound is better than anything else I've ever heard and they drive my PMC AB2s with ease.

Cheers
Simon

How does the sound of these Hypex modules differ from that of the Naim sound - particularly a NAP250 or NAP135?

My Hypex modules replaced a tweaked NAP250. The Hypex is more open and detailed and much faster on percussion and plucked strings. Your source has better be up to do as the Hypex modules do not hide anything. Very clean and open. If you are local you can always pop around for a listen and a coffee.

advertisement

Back