advertisement

Humphrey Littleton RIP

Sad to see Humph's passing. Musically he didn't do it for me but i thought he was brilliant on I'm Sorry I......

I suppose this news will be lost on many younger fishes. At my age you start to realise you're fast approaching the firing line.. :0

I have an ancient, battered and coverless copy of Humph at the Conway, a super live album from 1954. It is so rough that I only rarely play it, but it was my first 'contact' with Humph. I'd love to have met him.

Incidentally, on the above album is a clarinet blues by Wally Fawkes AKA cartoonist Trog. It is the finest single clarinet jazz tune I've heard.. ever.. and I've heard some. I'll dig it out tomorrow and have a listen.

A sad day indeed. I had hoped to enjoy Humph's brand of dry wit for much longer - but time and tide etc........

I only hope my funny bone lasts out into my eigthies - should I be forced to live so long that is.

Horrible news. I kind of hoped he'd live forever.

He did a great autobiography on radio 4 a few years back. great stories about playing the trumpet outside Buckingham palace on VE day.

Like others it'll be a repeat of "I'm Sorry.." that'll bring tears to my eyes rather than his music. A great man.

Kevin

Sad news indeed - I knew the show was on hold for a few weeks whilst he had an op, but didn't realise it was this serious.

I met humph for the first time last week and was amazed at the vigour and verve for a man of his years.

All of the team (of i'm sorry i haven't a clue) held him in such regard and treated him with such respect.

That said he was obviously the most childish person there and revelled in delivering the most purile double entendres with deadpan delight.

A life lived til it was worn out, great achievement.

Terrible shame. He was one of the funniest people on radio. I'll miss I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, which I hope will not go on without him, it just wouldn't be the same.

-- Ian

no , technical manager at the harrogate international centre.

I worked on the 'i'm sorry i haven't a clue' live gig on 12th april (so actually a couple of weeks ago now).

I think this was the last performance of isihac and they brought the house down.

Terrible shame. He was one of the funniest people on radio. I'll miss I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, which I hope will not go on without him, it just wouldn't be the same.

-- Ian

Very sad news. He was unique and radio will be poorer without him.

However, I think it would be wrong to stop one of the funniest shows going as a result. Clue suffered badly from the loss of Willie Rushton a decade or so ago, and in some ways it hasn't been the same since. But it has carried on and been extremely funny. I would think that something similar could happen now.

Sad News indeed, I heard last night & went to bed depressed.
I remembered that Humphrey Lyttelton was keen on Calligraphy ( it turns out this is a bit of an understatement as he was the President of The Society for Italic Handwriting) so a while ago I was searching the web for some more info & came across this

http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/sih.html

Incidentally Humph calls his record company Calligraph Records

advertisement

Back