Howard Popeck RIP

The details of the funeral for Howard Popeck are as follows:

11.30am on Thursday 20th April
Woodvale Crematorium
South Chapel
Lewes Road
Brighton
BN2 3QB.

Family flowers only but donations can be made in Howard's memory to either of the charities in the Giving page:

I purchased my Linn Ittok from Howard at Subjective Audio in 1985-6 and its still in use. Good guy and a nice man. RIP.

Well I never saw any of Howards old customers there.
Coffin painted with Music in mind, Zak gave a tiny chat about Howards life, lots I never knew, a amazing guy.
Lovely setting in Brighton I left London at 5.00AM and got there at 10.00AM traffic crap, left at 1PM from a service station called Pease Pottage odd name shit road system.
Home at 5.05PM traffic just lovely ukkkkk
Howards Step Daughter is due to give birth soon a bloody shame Grandpa Howards will never see the baby.
Did anybody watch it?

I met him at his home in North London, Hamstead, Finchley area iirc. He was selling Stax sytems. He told me to bring some vinyl which he supplied F.O.C anti static inners, at that time first I had heard of them. commented on my shoe choice 'are you an original mod.' I did not purhase anything and he was totally ok with that.

Agreed with others here, a true gent, R.I.P

He always commented on my shoes, size12 and always sandals even at my wedding he came to.
Great in snow big wide long sandals, but crap for walking on water honest. :)

Today in honour of our friend Howard, Myself, Sam, Anthony, Clive, Bill, and Hellen, Dave are meeting some face to face others on ZOOM (digital lies) with Howards Widow.

The plan is to revamp and start Hi-fi Answers up firstly as a Internet thing then as old fashioned paper back version.

Sam and Hellen with luck will be doing the art of music concerts included and ballet. Dave will be doing Jazz reviews (please).

Bill, Dave, Anthony and Clive will be on the kit and how it performs on other kit.

Me I will be doing techy stuff and DIY page including amps and Pre's (no digital lies sorry that will be Bill's Job number two.)

Howards wife Rosanna will be editor in chief, and with luck Sam and Clive will be sub editors and check my spelling and grammar on the techy stuff.

Sounds like fun.
smile.png

As one of Haymarket Magazine's writers on the paper Hi-Fi Answers how did Howard go about acquiring the name? Or was the 'so sue me' risk or 'flipping the bird' to Haymarket part of the excitement? I'd genuine love to know. DGP

As one of Haymarket Magazine's writers on the paper Hi-Fi Answers how did Howard go about acquiring the name? Or was the 'so sue me' risk or 'flipping the bird' to Haymarket part of the excitement? I'd genuine love to know. DGP

I have no clue but I will find out, and thanks for the info.

Well does/did own this site https://www.hifianswers.com/, I will find out more.

The registrant for that domain is Stereonow Ltd, which is a limited company with Rosanne Popeck as the sole active Director

I would strongly counsel against trying to publish a physical mag. The market for those in tiny and becoming smaller. Look at the various mags that have gone to the wall. It could end up losing a deal of money. Online is the way, but that's a very crowded market.

Very sad news
I went to his house his front room was the demo room.
When he opened subjective Audio I purchased a lot of gear from Howard.
I also went to Steve’s house when he had active isobaric with 3 maim 250 amps one of the best systems at the time
I purchased a login with syrinx pu2 or 3 can’t remember with a koetsu black I had problems with that deck Steve was here resetting it kept going out of tune they then the designer of the login sort it out in the end and sold it and took Steve’s advice and bought a linn.
Vince I remember you helping to get a pair of meridian M10 at a great price Steve had left by then.
Wish I still had the M10
I used to have interesting conversations with Howard
He treated his customers with respect
RIP

I've no idea about HFA Ltd but as far as I am aware the title Hi-Fi Answers is still incorporated in the magazine What Hi-Fi? (as would Hi-Fi Sound, Popular Hi-Fi and all the old Haymarket titles) - so whoever owns and published WHF now I guess has the title. And that would now be Future Publishing. Magazine titles used to be registered at Stationers' Hall - don't know how long ago that ended! DGP

Last edited:

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom