advertisement

How many pieces of kit do you have lying around awaiting repair or refurb?

“How many pieces of kit do you have lying around awaiting repair or refurb?“​

None…well ... awaiting a set of Thorens springs…then the boards are clear…:cool:

Nothing really needs repairing, however my Audio OCD compels me to want to do the following;

Get a set of hinges for my PT T/T.

4 Years ago purchased an Art Audio Vinyl One phono stage from a well known auction site and having met the seller and talked the history of the unit, he was unsure as he did not buy the unit new- so was thinking about getting it serviced, however everything works and is dead quiet, now sitting on the fence with what to do regards servicing- if it ain't broke why fix it? After all the thing is superbly built.

Possibly also thinking about the SONY TAF770ES amp serviced as it is getting on- however again if it ain't broke why fix it?

:)

All the hardware - just a different circuit and I love the type 76 as an input tube. I never liked global feedback and I prefer triodes, so it was a logical change for me. Plus all the power supply and the coupling caps have been seriously upgraded. Still looks pretty similar on top. This is a Stereo 20 like no other, and I'm really looking forward to hearing it. I didn't want an amp that I didn't have much interest in listening to, which was the case with the original circuit. All my other circuits are 2 stage single ended ones, so this is basically just a push-pull version.
Sounds interesting - you should start a thread in DIY.

Get rid of it! I hate things that don't work and I hate fixing them even more. If something can't be fixed easily and/or cheaply I want it gone. So that's two cassette decks and a DAT machine gone recently and a CD player before that. Next I need to turn my attention to all the other stuff I don't use. I've come to realise that clutter isn't just a physical phenomenon, it's mental clutter too.

Yeah, but I've still got cassettes that I want to digitise, and there's no new cassette decks to buy that are the equal of those that I have ...

Three things stopped working this week and all from the main system, so it hasn't been a good run.
One got fixed today by Antipodes remotely, while I had a drink and occasionally entered passwords (which would be a pretty neat trick for anything that played vinyl or tape).
One's under warrantee, but may need to go to China to utilise that.
I'm taking the third one to hand over to someone I've never met at a public carpark, but they say he is very good.

Sugden A48II and Heybrook HB2s. Can’t bring myselfto part with them and even if I could, freight from the Canaries………..

Many many less items than I had earlier in the year - @Mike P did a wonderful job in mending various items including the Thorens TD124 on this thread. What's left - a pre-amp or two, a vintage Marantz CD recorder which is far too complex but that's pretty much it - plus there's a Quad 33 which I'll put on with a donation to this site when I get around to it. (I have too much kit, you're meant to swop the boxes, not just keep them!).

Rotel Michi pre needs the volume pot cleaning and contact spray. You can't get in it at present.
An NVA amp that needs help, one channel dead.
An AVI CD player.
A speaker that needs a rare mid driver.

Quad ht boards, part built, two years ago. Same for unfinished 63s, pass labs b1 + Avondale phono motherboard and naim 323k cards with superteddyregs, in nice boxes doing nowt, audiolab cdt 90s vintage needing finishing of recap, dual mono emerald phonostage I should flog and an entire iancanada dac stack and battery psu I have no interest in.

My to-do pile currently comprises:

- 6 turntables
- 5 music centres
- 2 amplifiers
- 2 CD players
- 1 tuner
- 1 DJ console
- 1 DJ mixer
- 9 pairs of loudspeakers
- 1 subwoofer

There's also the 'to-do' pile for other people, which consists of:
- 2 turntables
- 2 pairs of loudspeakers
- 1 preamp
- 1 amplifier

Not enough hours in the day...

Another one to add to my extensive list - a Cyrus Straighline amp that's not working properly on one channel. Shame as to test it I'd even managed to locate some of those BFA banana plugs that it needs.

One integrated amp in need of repair to even be useable. One power amp in need of repair to fix it's start up circuit (it's still useable though a danger to speakers in some circumstances), it's an old amp that very probably could do with a refurb (new PSU caps etc). One power amp that definitely needs a refurb as it sounds oddly dull to my ears. One pre amp that could do with the volume pot being changed as it's crackling but otherwise is a fully working unit.

The first one I'm still hoping can be fixed - just don't have the funds at the moment
The second one I would sell but it weighs at least 40kg and so is just a pain to deal with
The third I'll very probably sell to a local "golden audio" shop that refurbs and sells kit - doubt I'll get much more than £100 for it though
The last is actually a very good pre amp. But it's old school and is not remote controlled so I doubt there's much market for it now.

I've got a rather nice Modwright Perpetual Technologies P1a/P3a with Monolothic power supply waiting for me to replace a broken DC socket before it can find a new home
Arcam Alpha 6 CD player waiting for new cog in loading drawer - probably going to give this to my son
2 Sony TCK611s cassette decks waiting to have new belts fitted before listing on ebay
Sony Pro Walkman that works, but not really saleable without servicing first (and I don't really want to part with it)

And there I was thinking I was alone in this....

1. Revox B77 r/r
2. Pioneer RT-707 r/r
3. Sony EL-7 Elcaset
4. Aiwa XK-S7000

....that'll do to start with!

Any recommendations on a techie that would work on this stuff? Getting harder to find. Having bought a house for renovation, I'm not going to get round to sorting these for the foreseeable.

advertisement

Back